Need Help Cutting Fondant Letters!!

Decorating By Lisaa1996 Updated 10 May 2009 , 1:42pm by bashini

Lisaa1996 Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 3

HELP!!! I just returned a set of small Wilton's alphabet cutters after getting totally aggravated trying to get the letters out in one piece! Does anyone out there know of any good alphabet fondant/gum paste cutters or have any tips on the Wilton's ones?
Thank you so much!

2 replies
ptanyer Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:10am
post #2 of 3

I have the FMM alphabet set and really love it. Here's a link to the lower case one: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16148.

I roll the fondant/gumpaste out really thin, and let it set for a few minutes rolled out on a mat. I use a silpat to roll it out on or use my pasta roller to roll it out thin. Then I dust the cutter lightly with powdered sugar or luster dust, etc. Press the cutter down and wiggle it some to make sure it cuts all the way through. The remove the excess and tap it hard against the edge of the table and it should pop right out. Then I slide it to the side and continue to do the rest of the letters/numbers. Once they dry, I can place them on the cake using a little "glue" made from water and meringue powder. Check my photos and look for the Sweet 16 Birthday Cake. That's what I did those letters/numbers with.

I think the Wilton cutters just needed dusting in something to allow the fondant to not stick to the cutter. Also there are several videos on Youtube on the subject that are a big help. Some of the videos are using "Tappipts" which are very similar to the ones I use.

HTH's icon_smile.gif
Pam

bashini Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 3

Hi there, there are so many different letter cutters. There's FMM Funky letter cutter that ptanyer posted above, and there's FMM script cutters. Also you can find Jem cutters and here is a link to Patchwork letter and number cutters,

One other thing is that I use gumpaste or mix of 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. I never use fondant alone.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%