Make Writing Look Like "chalk" For Graduation Cake

Decorating By sugarwishes Updated 10 May 2009 , 12:48pm by sugarwishes

sugarwishes Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a graduation cake, not due til next month, that will be teacher themed....chalk board, eraser, chalk, ruler, etc. All fondant.

She wants the writing to look like it were written with chalk. I've seen it done but I'm clueless what to use or how to do it.

Any suggestions???

5 replies
peg818 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #2 of 6

use petal dust in a light color and i use a q tip to write with.

Price Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 6

I used the white gel color from Americolor and a thin paint brush to write on my blackboard that went with my toybox cake. I thought the writing came out looking pretty good.

Edited to add: Oops! I just looked at the pic. It's not a very good example. The blackboard doesn't show up to good in the picture. But you might want to roll out a thin peice of black fondant and try the white color on it to see if it gives the effect you're looking for.

HTH,
Jean

chanielisalevy Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:08am
post #4 of 6

Believe it or not, I made a 1/2" thick log of fondant, let it dry out a bit, and used that to "write" on the black board! It actually worked. It left the traces of white that looked chalky! A sudden inspiration...try it on a spare piece of fondant and see if it's the look you want.

Evoir Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #5 of 6

I would let the fondant try properly (maybe make the black a plaque and do it a week in advance if you have time), and use my chalk colours to achieve the effect. I grind/seive all my chalks for dusting flowers and fondants and the sticks are all essentially chalks to begin with.

If you want to try something similar you can buy non-toxic art chalks from an art supply shop.

sugarwishes Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much thumbs_up.gif I'm going to try the ways you all suggested and see which way works best for me. Can't wait to do this cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%