Chocolate Buttercream Frosting - Want Darker Brown

Decorating By Mommy34 Updated 10 May 2009 , 1:15am by Mommy34

Mommy34 Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #1 of 9

I just made the Wilton High Humidity buttercream recipe and added melted chocolate to it. However, it's not the dark color I was hoping for ... I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recipes to share for a pirate ship cake with chocolate buttercream -- want it to look dark, not light brown. Thanks!

8 replies
FeGe_Cakes Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 9

What about adding brown food coloring? Try Americolor chocolate brown. It is great.

tonedna Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:47am
post #3 of 9

Just add some brown to it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Mommy34 Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the feedback. Would it have made a difference if I used more than 2 bars of melted unsweetened, or no? If not, I will definitely add some brown as you both suggested. icon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 9

I ran into that same problem when I needed dark brown and adding brown color didn't help so I had to add dark cocoa powder.

Mommy34 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:01am
post #6 of 9

Makes sense! I will use this for my crumb coat and then make with dark cocoa powder for the final frosting. Thanks!

BTW, I plan to freeze this cake with a crumb coat and then refrost next Friday after I thaw. I've read you should thaw with wrapping in the refrigerator first? Any suggestions ... I'm going to recoat with buttercream (this is for my son's "pirate ship cake")

Thanks ladies! icon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #7 of 9

Your welcome! When I thaw my cakes I usually just put them on my countertop and let it get to room temp. You do need to leave it wrapped while thawing. icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #8 of 9

Is it carved already? I would carve it before it's de thaws if you don't have that part done. It's always easier to carve when it's frozen. I don't keep mine wrapped but I hear plenty of people that do. I guess it's about choice. I would let it de thaw all the way before frosting it so it doesn't sweat after you frost it.

Good Luck,
Kat

Mommy34 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #9 of 9

I'm actually in the process of freezing the cakes for about an hour before I start to carve. I was going to carve and then crumb coat, then wrap and put in freezer. Next Friday I was going to defrost and then put the final frosting coat/decorations on it so it would be ready for party on Saturday. I will definitely make sure I thaw it and may need to take it out on Thursday afternoon to prepare for Saturday party?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%