Hmmm Another Pricing Q With The Extras

Business By imanah Updated 10 May 2009 , 6:02pm by sweetcakes

imanah Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have a simple question for you experienced bakers out there,

here is my issue,

I have a base price for 3D cakes. If a person wants somthing extra such as gumpaste happy birthday and other details as such is that considered "extra" or should that be included in my 3D cake price?

Thanks a bunch

4 replies
indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 5

What did you determine was included in your "base" price? Have a conversation with yourself on "What am I willing to do for $x.xx?"

Ex: My BC base price is pretty generous, but it does not include any fondant accents, gumpaste flowers, purchased figurines, silk flowers, chocolate work (i.e. the skyline cut out of chocolate on my City Skyline cake).

imanah Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for your input Indy,

I do have these conversations with myself and I try to remember how whenever I do a cake I always say, well I spent a lot more time then anticiptated on thios or I should of charged more.

My base price for 3d Cakes is $5.75 per serving. I was dumb and used to charge $4.00 ( I learned fast that was ridiculous)

I charge an additional 0.75 for fondant.

Now this lady wants stuff in Arabic saying Happy Birthday and her name...arabesque type theme.

I gave her the quote and I will charge her ann additional charge for that.

I wonder when this pricing thing I will have down to a science, it should'nt be so vague to me icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanah

I wonder when this pricing thing I will have down to a science....

When you figure it out, let the rest of us know! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sweetcakes Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 5

can you try not to give a price until all the details have been decided? that way you can think about it and consider the additional work involved. If they need a price id say its going to be somewhere between xx and xxx, once all details have been decided i can give you an exact guote. I know its hard, and generally after your done you say to yourself next time its going to be this much. so make note of that for future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%