Icing Problems Please Help

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 9 May 2009 , 9:59pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to ice my first ever cake. I am using the recipe from the wilton book. I crumb coated it and let it sit for hours. Had to take my car to the shop and now I am trying to frost it. The cake is just falling apart, I used ducan hines moist devil foods cake. I dont know what the problem is, my cake is just too moist or the icing is too thick, I am using thin consistancy. When I pull the spatula up the cake just pulls up with it.

Any ideas?

4 replies
bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 5

Are you now putting a second layer on? It sounds like your icing is too thick. Thin it out with water or milk so that it spreads easily. I always crumbcoat, pop it in the refridgerator for at least 20 minutes and then put on a second layer. I find that its best to have a few thin layers than one thick. Hope that helps, Good luck!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

Did you have the same trouble whe you brumb coated the cake? If not its probably just that your icing is to stiff. Tray to thin down a small amount of icing (instaed of wasting the whole batch) and see if it works better.
Tracy

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 5

Mindy,
Sounds like you have combiation of both , a moist cake and a thick icing. How thin is the icing? Was the icing from the can or was it made at home? You may have to put another crumb coat and let it sit over night if that is possible. Was the cake cooled completly before you iced the cake?

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 5

I had a problem with the cake from the start really. It was falling apart before I started frosting. I think it is a combination of both. I have the 2nd coat on and I think i will let that sit in the fridge and then add another coat. I need to make more icing anyway.

I am using the icing in the wiltons book that we are taught in class

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%