Dissapointment

Decorating By sunshine2218 Updated 10 May 2009 , 9:58pm by Cathy26

sunshine2218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshine2218 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 10

I'm so dissapointed in myself icon_cry.gif
My cake didn't turn out like I wanted it to...

9 replies
Butterfly27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly27 Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 10

Don't feel so bad or be too hard on yourself. We all have days like that. The worst part is we are our own worst enemy when it comes to being critics. We think that because the cake doesn't look good to us then it won't look good to anyone else. That's not always the case though. We always seem to find all the flaws but then everyone else says it looks great. Sometimes when someone says it looks great that makes me feel good and other times I want to smack them because I know that it is not how I wanted it to look. Anyway, I am sure that your cake is beautiful. Don't get down on yourself. You'll get it the way you want next time. Keep On Caking! thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #3 of 10

Don't feel so bad, you aren't alone. I have struggled all day with cream cheese icing for some Mother's Day cakes for my family mom's and have decided that absolutely HATE cream cheese icing. No matter how much powdered sugar I kept adding, it would not ice smooth. I finally gave up and covered them with big fluffy tip flowers (like swirls on a cupcake). The men in my family thought they looked nice, but I am so disappointed that I could cry and cry. Not up to my normal level of work and won't dare post the photos. I'd hate for potential clients to see them and think I don't know how to decorate a cake. I gave up, did the best I could with what I had and cleaned up, boxed them up and walked away. At least they are homemade and will taste a whole lot better than a Walmart or grocery store cake. I know we all have days like this, but not today of all days, and I have a big wedding cake due on 5/30 and confidence shaken to say the least.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

Im with ya, my Mickey head split in half after I got him all decorated, had to rebake and start all over, second time workedicon_smile.gif

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #5 of 10

Hang in there!! Take a picture of your cake.. that way you will have something to measure your progress by.. EVERY CAKE IS AN EXPERIENCE.. GOOD OR BAD YOU LEARN FROM EVERY CAKE... We are our worst critics.. I am sure it is just fine. I know I have come up with some doozy Ideas and they just didnt pan out. Live and learn. at least you got to play with frosting!! I LOVE IT! Your next cake with be great!!
chin up and get back to it! icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 10

If you have trouble smoothing your cream chesse icing try setting it in the freezer for a few minutes, till the icing is firm, then use a warm scraper or your very clean hand to smooth out the imperfections. A few years ago i did a large wedding castle cake in a basketweave design, then had to transport it 50 miles on the hottest day of the year in Al. When I arrived at the location I found the back side of the 14" cake had fallen off!!! After I got it inside, and the icing had time to cool off, I was able to lift the whole section back up and into place. No ever knew except my sister. I was truly blessed that day.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 10

(((hugs))) If we can help you to improve next time, let us know...

Keep your chin up!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sunshine2218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshine2218 Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone for making me feel better! =]

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 10

I also am there. I made a bday cake yesterday for my 8 yo cousin. She LOVED it as well as all the other kids and non cake people (lol). But all I could see all day was what was wrong with it.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #10 of 10

everyone goes through this, i had 5 cakes to do this week and i only was really pleased with one of them (the little black pink and cream tiny shoe handbag one) and that was after taking the original decorations off and doing it all over again! it just takes time and practice and planning to get cakes to turn out the way you want. just stick at it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%