# Of Servings Question

Decorating By TantalizingTreats Updated 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm by cheesecakes-galore

TantalizingTreats Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 4

Is anyone willing to share the " #of servings " they use for square and round pans based on party size servings and wedding size servings... I have looked at wilton and dont agree with the numbers and I have compared the one in the tutorial to cake boss.. and I have come up with my own... but I would like to know what other decorators use..

Or can you check out my website and see if the # of servings I use make sense..

Thanks All

Charleen

3 replies
indydebi Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 4

I use the wilton wedding chart for ALL cakes: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve those servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html (I actually get about 10% more serving than the chart)

Here's a photo of a 1x2x4 piece of cake. Notice it's NOT paper thin: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

Industry standard for wedding slices is 1x2x4. If you're allocating 1.5x2x4, the venue is very likely going to cut it 1x2x4, which means you gave away free cake, OR the bride will feel like you "scammed" her into buying more cake than she needed.

1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches. Your piece of 1.5x2x4 = 12 cubic inches ..... 50% more cake than the norm.

In my ever so never humble opinion, if you're going to give them 50% more cake, then you should charge them 50% more in price. If I get the large fries, with lots more fries in the box, then I"m going to pay more for it.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 4

I too used to go by the 1.5x2x4 for wedding cakes, but then I realized I was the one being jipped (sorry, not sure how to spell that). Since 90% or more of bakers charge by the 1x2x4 serving size I realized I was giving away my time and money. So about 6 months ago I switched over to the wilton servings. Fortunately for me, I never said in contract or on my site what the serving sizes were, so it hasn't made any difference in customers. Now I do state what the usual sizes are, so they know what they are paying for, they can decide how they want to cut it themselves. I did have one bride who wanted more cake, because she wanted a larger slice for her guests, and she paid for it too.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 4

I too used to go by the 1.5x2x4 for wedding cakes, but then I realized I was the one being jipped (sorry, not sure how to spell that). Since 90% or more of bakers charge by the 1x2x4 serving size I realized I was giving away my time and money. So about 6 months ago I switched over to the wilton servings. Fortunately for me, I never said in contract or on my site what the serving sizes were, so it hasn't made any difference in customers. Now I do state what the usual sizes are, so they know what they are paying for, they can decide how they want to cut it themselves. I did have one bride who wanted more cake, because she wanted a larger slice for her guests, and she paid for it too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%