Substitute For Lemon Juice???

Decorating By cupcakesnbuttercream Updated 10 May 2009 , 10:35pm by soygurl

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering if i can substitute lemon extract for a recipe that calls for lemon juice? or if there is another sub for lemon juice..

7 replies
lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 8

I think it depends on what your making. Lemon juice probably isnt as concentrated as extract.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 8

the recipe is for white chocolate cream cheese frosting....i dont remember where i got the recipe though...

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

I wouldn't measure for measure but I bet you could just dilute it in water with no trouble.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 8

Ive substituted lime juice for it and I believe if you add some water to cream of tartar it would work the same because its an acid. I guess it all depends on what the recipe is for. Ive also left it out before with no harm done on some.

cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 8

thanks!
weirkd-do you know how much water to cream of tartar

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:52am
post #7 of 8

I'd use a touch of lemon essence and a pinch of citric acid in a few tsps of water.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #8 of 8

Since you're making a frosting, the lemon juice is almost certainly just for flavor, so you can substitute lemon extract (use quite a bit less... extract is stronger, and maybe add a little extra water or other liquid to make up for the missing juice). Or substitute orange juice, lime juice, or just about anything that would taste good.
If you were making a cake or some kind of baked good, the lemon juice would need to be replaced with another acid (like vinegar, cream of tartar, etc.), because it would probably be helping to activate the leavening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%