Am I The Only One Who Think This Way?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 17 May 2009 , 1:37am by anasasi

ZlatkaT Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 51

Yes I am a newbie in cake decorating, and just recently finished my cake classes. So far I worked with fondant 4 times. I just can not get over that I spent so much time playing with fondant, flowers, etc, and when you serve the cake, people won't eat it. It hurts me, all they eat is plain cake with a touch of frosting, everything else is trash. I tried 3 fondants recipe so far, but the same result. I don't like it either. I tried MMF, Michel's foster and some Czech recipe "false marzipan" - (so far the best of the taste, but has issues). There must be something more tasty out there. I would not mind to use store bought fondant for decoration, but for covering the cake I have to figure out something better. Is that just me who think that cake should be eaten as it serves, and not for look? I just feel sorry for people who spent so much money for fondant cake, not cake, but show.
I am not giving up! I love to learn something new, love to keep up with new technology, and LOVE the cakes you guys made. But the taste.
Oh, I can just keep writing, I better stop now. Just want to get my bug out of my head. So am I the only one...?

50 replies
teriwiley5 Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 51

Are you using Wilton's white fondant? (not very good)
CK products sells a good one - can't remember if it's Bakels or Pettinice?
Both are better than Wilton's. Any chocolate one is yummy!
If I'm doing fondant accents on a kids cake, I try to use MMF.
Same with cookies.

Minstrelmiss Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 51

I understand what you mean about eating the decorations but for me, it's too much sweet. While I use my fair share of icing to decorate, when it comes to enjoying my cake, I'm really all about the cake and like to keep the icing to a minimum. However, I sympathize icon_wink.gif

As far as fondant, I am a newbie too but have found this recipe to be fantastic!

I have only made it a few times and it has worked great for me. I like to add a little LorAnns to it too in order to compliment the cake. Tasty!

JenniferMI Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 51

I think the key is not only it taste good, but you can roll it THIN. IMO, people just don't want to eat a bunch of fondant, they generally want creamy icing.

Choco-pan is very good. I only use a semi-homemade white chocolate fondant that I make. If you want info, just e-mail me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 51

I don't like eating fondant. It isn't the taste, but the texture. I don't think frosting should be chewy. I never ate fondant before I got into decorating as I always thought it tasted bad. I have tasted it since. If you see someone taking off your fondant, tell them it isn't the traditional fondant and that they should try it. Like I said, it's a texture thing for me. I like working with it, but even I pick it off of the cake. And if I won't eat it, I expect others won't either. So I am no help here. There are some awesome fondant designs in the gallery, but I just prefer butter cream as do most of the people who receive my cakes.

Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 51

Try out Jennifer's semi homemade recipe.

Win Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 51

And, for the look of fondant but the taste of buttercream, there's always rolled buttercream. It's not as easy to work with; however. Or, you can always combine the two (fondant and rolled buttercream.)

As for the difference between the look of a cake with fondant or without... I love the canvas fondant provides and, other than chocolate, marzipan, or gumpaste there's not a lot else that makes great decorations. Even the cakes that are buttercream bases with fondant deco are truly spectacular. Cakes that are beautifully piped and full of string work are spectacular, but a little dated looking now. That's not to say there won't be a resurgence in them... and that fondant cakes will fade in popularity someday. You know how the saying goes, "All things that go around, come around."

sara91 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 51

Why not try a rolled chocolate paste. You can get white chocolate or dark chocolate ones. I tried the most delicious one the other day from here.

OMG it was as good as eating chocolate from a chocolate box!

It is not to be confused with chocolate added to fondant.

I am sure someone out there has a recipe for this. Anyone?

tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 51

I honestly dont care to eat the flowers myself. I just make them so the cake looks pretty!
Edna icon_smile.gif

lostincake Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 51

I am not a fan of icing period. I never was, not even as a kid. I always scraped it off whether it was BC, whipped frosting or MMF/fondant (I just recently tried fondant since learning to decorate).

So I guess because of my own personal preference, it doesn't bother me when someone takes it off before eating. It does make me smile though when my nephew & his friends fight for the MMF accents off a cake icon_biggrin.gif. Kids seem to be the only ones who enjoy it!

sarah0418 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 51
Originally Posted by Redlotusninjagrl

I don't like eating fondant. It isn't the taste, but the texture. I don't think frosting should be chewy. I never ate fondant before I got into decorating as I always thought it tasted bad. I have tasted it since. If you see someone taking off your fondant, tell them it isn't the traditional fondant and that they should try it. Like I said, it's a texture thing for me. I like working with it, but even I pick it off of the cake. And if I won't eat it, I expect others won't either. So I am no help here. There are some awesome fondant designs in the gallery, but I just prefer butter cream as do most of the people who receive my cakes.

I totally agree. I think MMF tastes OK by itself. But, I hate it on a cake. I don't like anything chewy on my cake. I think fondant covered cakes look awesome but, IMHO, I only like fondant covering on wedding cakes. I just think that cakes are meant to be eaten and I have yet found someone who likes the fondant on their cake.

ZlatkaT Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 51

Thank you everyone for your comments, and helpful links, which I will study and try it. The chocolate versions sounds exciting. Maybe one day I will get over this dilemma. But probably I will come up with a version of fondant I will enjoy myself. I am hard headed woman.
Thanks again!!

sweetjan Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 51

Why hasn't the rolled chocolate paste more talked about? Is it like working with fondant? The pictures look gorgeous, but I have no clue what it is.....?

sweetjan Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #14 of 51

My friends at work have never tasted fondant before. I took a cake in last week covered in fondant (Satin Ice). I didn't tell them what to think about it either way, I just let them eat the cake to see what they thought. All 4 co-workers loved it and had no problem with fondant vs. icing!

KitchenKat Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #15 of 51

I hear what you're saying. It seems a huge waste of effort and money to work with fondant when it's often just scraped off. But when I do use fondant it's always with my own personal understanding that it will be a tradeoff between good looks and wasted effort.

FWIW I use white choco MFF so it is a tasty fondant. i make my fondant cakes at least 24 hours in advance so that the fondant has a chance to absorb the bc and get more creamy less chewy. Very few people like fondant though. I just don't take it personally. icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:10am
post #16 of 51

I use satin ice, and at the events I have attended where my cakes have been served, I would say about 95% of the guests eat the fondant. It taste delicious and some of the kids actually fight over who gets to eat the figures and things that are pulled off before cutting!

Cathy26 Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #17 of 51

I LOVE FONDANT!! i just love the texture and the whole bite of cake, buttercream and fondant icing together - yum!! thought loads of people i know dont eat it and just peel it off - i cant understand why.

i use Lindy Smith/Nicholas Lodges gelatine fondant recipe which works great and i think tastes lovely with a couple of drops of vanilla in it.

auntmamie Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 51

I love fondant (major sweet tooth, and my hips show it icon_biggrin.gif) but I can't get anyone around here to try it for the life of me. I brought in fondant cakes to work when I was in Wilton classes, and people would complain that their FREE cake had fondant on it. Nor will anyone buy a fondant cake, unless it is for a wedding. Everyone wants BC still. I really wish I could get fondant orders, but no bite. I might actually run a special - MMF for the price of BC, just to get people to try it. Simple decorations only, but still, get the taste out there.

mcaulir Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #19 of 51

I have always loved fondant, and will pick the corner piece of cake to get extra. I don't understand people who don't fight me for it!

indydebi Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:23pm
post #20 of 51

When fondant is used for accent pieces, etc., remember that it's to make the cake look pretty (and oh by the way, they happen to be edible, if you want to!).

At thanksgiving, we put pretty centerpieces on our table ... but no one eats it..... it's just there to look at and to make the table pretty.

We partially slice strawberries and spread them out as a garnish; we make flowers out of green onions to put in our chip dip as a decoration (no one eats it). We carve little baskets out of lemons and fill them with grape tomatoes, celery leaves, etc., just as a decoration ... no one has ever eaten one, but I spend quite a bit of time on these suckers!

Restaurants add parsley and other things to our plate to make the food look pretty ... some eat it, some don't.

We wrap our christmas gifts lovingly in pretty paper that we spent some time selecting for how "festive" it was .... just to watch it be torn to shreds on Christmas morning.

Some things enhance the look .... and if they get eaten along the way, that's just an extra.

But there are LOTS of things we do just to make it extra pretty ... and those things get thrown away without a second glance.

I wouldn't worry about it if they didn't eat the flowers. If they love your cakes, that's all that matters! thumbs_up.gif

StaceyCakes75 Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #21 of 51

indydebi, I agree with you 100% to me its not about if they eat the decorations, its about if they like the cake. As long as they eat the cake I could care less about the decorations. People want fondant because of they way it looks not the taste IMO.

superstar Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:00am
post #22 of 51

I love Jen's chocolate fondant, I also like Fondx & Satin Ice. I always flavor the fondant with either the same flavor as the BC that goes under the fondant (full layer, not skimpy) or a flavor that blend with the BC. I roll my fondant thin. If the decorations are made of gumpaste I don't expect them to be eaten although the kids love them, if I am doing a fondant decoration it is always the flavored one. Practically everyone I know loves it & so do my customers.

niccicola Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #23 of 51

if they've paid for it, i don't care what they do with it.

newmansmom2004 Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #24 of 51

Don't let it bother you that they don't eat fondant. It's still a new concept for a lot of people and if you don't have good tasting fondant they simply won't eat it.

Try one of the chocolate based fondants like Choco-Pan or Fondarific and see if you don't get better results from your customers/guests. Choco-Pan and Fondarific are both VERY tasty! I think Satin Ice tastes like wallpaper paste and I find it very difficult to work with - elephant skin, air bubbles, etc. Wilton is just plain nasty and not fit for human consumption but I keep hearing they're working on their formula to make a better tasting fondant.

I have a new bucket of Fondx that I haven't opened yet but I'm anxious to try it as I've heard it's pretty good. It'll be hard to beat Choco-Pan or Fondarific for taste and I found both of those to be very good to work with (and I live in a hot climate).

Don't give up!!!

Gefion Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:38am
post #25 of 51

I see fondant and decorations as a pretty wrapping paper - like Indydebi says. I don't mind if people peel it off. My cakes are so loaded with royal icing decor, that it would be weird it they actually ate it all.

Ruth0209 Posted 13 May 2009 , 6:45am
post #26 of 51
Originally Posted by niccicola

if they've paid for it, i don't care what they do with it.

This is my sentiment exactly.

I don't mind the taste of fondant, but I don't like the texture at all. I can understand why people don't eat it.

Jan14grands Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #27 of 51

I use Fondx and really love it - tastes really good and easy to work with. But I have only done buttercream cakes decorated with Fondx - have never covered a cake with it. I will try soon tho. People seem to love it too.

ZlatkaT Posted 13 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #28 of 51

When I started this forum, I did not know what responses I will get. I am really glad to hear so many different reactions. Fondant just don't make much sense. Cake look pretty, taste is other issue. Like other member said, cake are meant to be eaten. I have a few recipes to try and see how it will go. But I am working on one fondant recipe, which I would like to improve. The taste is great, I like to nibble and eat it like it is, but the recipe has a few issues, you might help me with. The color is not pure white (even if I put white color in it). If anybody would be interested to try it and test it with me, I would be glad to give the recipe. just PM me.
I cover one cake with this recipe, and people who taste the cake eat the cake with the fondant, all of them! See the pics below, to see the color of the fondant.

anasasi Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #29 of 51

Sara91 and sweetjan, in response to your questions:
I use modeling chocolate to cover my cakes more often than I use fondant. It's all a matter of preference, but I've gotten so used to using it that I don't even bother with fondant anymore (other than to get a pure white color). I find that it's more forgiving for fixing issues than fondant when it's on the cake, it's just as pliable, easier to make , you can refrigerate or freeze a covered cake with no problems, and it tastes something akin to chocolate with a tootsie roll consistency (good stuff, for me anyway : ). Also, you can roll it out as thin as fondant and it doesn't dry as hard, but it holds it's shape extremely well...if that makes any sense, lol.

I've played with the recipe for a while now and find that using 2/3 cup of Karo syrup to 16 oz of wilton's chocolate disks works the best for me. If using the colored or white chocolate then I use 2/3 cup to 24 oz. The best thing about it is that the disks come in so many colors that most of the time I can completely eliminate an extra step from the process because there's no need to add colors.

ZlatkaT - your cake looks so cute!!

lostincake Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #30 of 51 you use JUST the syrup and the chocolate? No need for gelatin or marshmallows or PS of any kind? I've heard of modelling chocolate used for other purposes but did not think it would be able to be rolled to cover cake.

Very interesting...

Quote by @%username% on %date%