Whiter Teeth Ad

Decorating By Bakingangel Updated 12 May 2009 , 3:36am by txsteph

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 34

I think the ad for the stay at home mom finding a remedy for teeth whitening is gross! It turns my stomach every time it comes up on the page to have to look in someone's mouth! This is distasteful considering the type of website CakeCentral is. I know CC needs the advertising to support the site...but this is disgusting! How about burying it way in the back somewhere?!

33 replies
ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 34

I must agree with you it's tasteless!!!

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 34

Ahhh! You have said what we are all thinking!!!! Thank you! thumbs_up.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 34

What, you mean those pearly yellowish-browns don't compliment the delicious cakes you're looking at? icon_lol.gif

I agree, it is a pretty nasty ad. I've been trying to tune it out, b/c I know that advertising is what keeps this site going. Still, it is not the most appetizing thing when you're thinking about cake and buttercream...

Bec

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 34

just a tip, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser & install the "Ad Block Plus" add-on, you won't see any ads.

i have never seen an ad on any of the forums i use! icon_surprised.gif) thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 34

I was just going to suggest the same thing! (AdBlock Plus). It's free and it works GREAT! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:57pm
post #7 of 34

Do the sides of the page just look blank where the ads are supposed to be? Or does CC spread out into the ad section? Just wondering!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #8 of 34

It seems like CC spreads out to fill the space; I haven't noticed any weird gaps. Give it a try! You can always disable it. You can even temporarily disable it for sites when you WANT to see the ads icon_smile.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #9 of 34

Thanks for the tip! I'm a little challenged in that dept. (computers). Would someone tell me step by step how to engage the block? I use Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:40am
post #10 of 34

Waiting to hear how this works also, I agree YUM YUM , NOT!!!!!!!!! thumbsdown.gif

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #11 of 34

I agree, it's pretty nauseating. Definately not a good choice for a banner on a baking site!

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #12 of 34

Yay! No more teeth ad lol, I installed Ad Block Plus and I'm so happy

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:29am
post #13 of 34

In your open firefox window go to Tools .. Add Ons .. in the search box put Adblock Plus .. click on the adblock plus when results show up & install. HTH

txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #14 of 34

Be sure to hit subscribe to the page firefox pulls up once you restart it. You dont really subscribe to anything but you have to hit that for it to work.

txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:37am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Do the sides of the page just look blank where the ads are supposed to be? Or does CC spread out into the ad section? Just wondering!

There is only one white gap on the left under the CC terms & privacy policy .. thats it. Everything else is the same just moved up where the ad would have been.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:55am
post #16 of 34

thanks mrsbriggs...I never knew of that option. I just did it and it works fine...NO MORE YUCKY TEETH YAAAYY!! Does it only apply for this site or will it automatically do this for all the sites I visit? Anyone know?

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:16am
post #17 of 34

Hooray Me too!!! I never knew I could get rid of them! My kids will be so happy! They always complain because of the teeth the the weight loss one!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:45am
post #18 of 34

It could be worse...at one time there was an ad in the popups for a TV show about strange foods which showed a guy eating a big spider. icon_wink.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:57am
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

just a tip, if you use Mozilla Firefox as your browser & install the "Ad Block Plus" add-on, you won't see any ads.

i have never seen an ad on any of the forums i use! icon_surprised.gif) thumbs_up.gif

I use it, have it turned on, and see ALL of tghe ads except for the ones that move! What's up with that?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 11 May 2009 , 11:13am
post #20 of 34

thanks for that!

debster Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:16pm
post #21 of 34

What do we do if we don't know what we have? How do we check? I'm computer illiterate.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #22 of 34

My pages load sooooo much faster now.

Debster- browser should say at the top left hand corner of your screen.n If not, go to help at the top then about.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #23 of 34

icon_confused.gif anyone know how to do this with internet explorer???? i'd love to get those ads off my screen!

debster Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #24 of 34

That's what I have internet explorer. I love learning computer with cakes, hehehehehe

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

I use it, have it turned on, and see ALL of tghe ads except for the ones that move! What's up with that?

I don't think you have the most current filter for Ad Block Plus. Go to Tools -> AdBlock Plus Preferences, and this will open the AdBlock Plus Options window. You should see "Filter subscription: EasyList USA" and it should be checked. If you don't see that filter, that is the source of the problem. Click on Filters, then on Add Filter Subscription, and the EasyList USA is the first one. Make sure the button is checked, and then click the Subscribe button. You will probably have to close FireFox and then re-open it to update your changes.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 11 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #26 of 34

woo hoo!! I always use firefox but never knew about the add-ons/filters! Thanks soooo much, all the ads are gone!!

PS - I love learning cakes and computers together too, lol

txsteph Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

icon_confused.gif anyone know how to do this with internet explorer???? i'd love to get those ads off my screen!

It is not called Adblock plus with IE .. If you Have IE ( Internet Explorer) go to Tools, Manage Add Ons, Find Add Ons, in search bar on that page it pulls up put in "ad blocker" .. there are a few to choose from, There is Select View Filter & IE Jet Pop Up Killer & Ad stopper. I do not use my IE so I have not installed either of these and don't know how well they work, but that is how to find it for IE. HTH

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 11 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #28 of 34

OMG! I was going to post about this myself today! Thanks for beating me to it! Those yellow, gross, disgusting teeth turn my stomach and make me want to BARF!!!! Are they really making money with whatever product they're selling??? EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #29 of 34

I have Mcafee installed on my computer. when I installed Mozilla, it wouldn't let me pull up any of my websites. (Like cakecentral.com). Did I do something wrong? It said something about a Proxy something or other.........

txsteph Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:22am
post #30 of 34

Hmmm I had McAfee before & did not have any issues with the firefox. Maybe the settings on McAfee need to re figured?? Not sure, maybe someone on here will know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%