How Do I Store A Finished Cake Before Serving?

Decorating By ahousel1 Updated 11 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm by SugarFrosted

ahousel1 Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I am pretty new to cake decorating having only made a few cakes for my kiddos birthdays with fondant or buttercream. For buttercream cakes, how do I store them if I finish them a day or two before serving? Actually, I guess I have the same question for fondant cakes too. I want to store them so that they stay "fresh" and untouched.

Thanks for your help!
April

4 replies
juleebug Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 5

I store mine in cake boxes in my oven (after it cools, of course.) It keeps my cakes safe from kids, pets, dust and anything else that could ruin them. They will stay fresh for several days that way. Just be sure you put a note on the oven door so you don't forget it'[s in there.

SugarFrosted Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleebug

I store mine in cake boxes in my oven (after it cools, of course.) It keeps my cakes safe from kids, pets, dust and anything else that could ruin them. They will stay fresh for several days that way. Just be sure you put a note on the oven door so you don't forget it'[s in there.

Oh Wow! You must have your family well trained, because that sounds so much like a disaster waiting to happen if I did that in my house...altho, I'd prolly only forget ONCE there was a finished cake stored in the oven.

I use wooden cake boards (covered with white Contact plastic and foil) and clear plastic storage boxes for my cakes. You can see thru the cover and it protects the cake from dust, pets and little kid's fingers. My clients receive the cake in this way and they always return my box and board within a week. Most tell me they leave the cakebox on the counter and the cakes stays fresh until it's gone. This method works for me, though there has been some controversy here on CC that plastic boxes are problematic regarding causing the frosting to melt or something like that. In 21 years and over 2000 cakes I have NEVER had such an issue.

Here's what my boxes look like:
LL

ahousel1 Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for your ideas!

SugarFrosted - the clear plastic boxes are a great idea, thank you for the pic so I knew exactly what you were talking about. Do you just use a very large box when you have a tiered cake?

SugarFrosted Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahousel1

Thank you so much for your ideas!

SugarFrosted - the clear plastic boxes are a great idea, thank you for the pic so I knew exactly what you were talking about. Do you just use a very large box when you have a tiered cake?

I personally have only made a few tiered cakes. Those were delivered as separate tiers and then assembled at the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%