How Do You Pack Stack Cakes?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 9 May 2009 , 8:29pm by Michellers

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hello helpers,
if someone ask you to make stack cake, how do you pack it? I want to be ready when someone woul like one. Do you pack each cake separatelly and show them how to put it together, or do you pack the cake in a special box? I haven't see any big tall box in a store. I am not talking of wedding cakes, just BD small cakes. I just don't want to give them "naked" cake in a car. I would secure the cake with a dowel. Thank you.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 7

I have sent out small cakes that are 2 and 3 tiers high.I use a deep square box(I buy mine at UPS) with skid proof sheet underneath.The cakes must be properly dowelled between each tier and the cakes very cold.This helps with stability.It can be done but make sure you tell people that you are not responsible for a cake once it has left your care.You never know how people drive etc..

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Kiddiekakes. The box from UPS is that their shipping box with their logo on it, or do they have a plain boxes as well?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 7

They have plain boxes....they come in all sized cubes..I think I paid a few dollars or so but I needed it so...

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

All my cakes leave my shop in a box! It is sooo unhygienic to not box cakes.

I get all my stacked cake boxes specially made from food-safe corrugated fiberboard (often called just 'cardboard' by the general public). Not all types of 'cardboard' are food-safe, which most people are NOT aware of!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 7

My local Wal Mart has plain boxes too.

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 7

I asked this same question a few months ago. From the responses I got, the easiest option (since I don't make a lot of cakes) was to use a regular cake box, but tape it in the "open position" and cover the open area with cellophane. Works great for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%