Friend Of A Friend...fallen Off The Earth

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 12 May 2009 , 7:50pm by cheesecakes-galore

shelbur10 Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, I have one of those friend of a friend wants a cake kind of situations. This girl called me on my sister's recommendation and got all excited about a cake she wants in a few weeks. We spoke on the phone & emailed back and forth a few times, now she's fallen off the earth. The problem is I don't know if she wants the cake!
I emailed her a sketch with some ideas last Saturday, then emailed again on Thursday that I hoped she liked it and looked forward to hearing from her. Still nothing. However, her last email to me said she really wanted me to do it (before the sketch). So is she thinking I'm going to do it or what? I don't want to call, really, cause then it feels like I'm chasing her down. If she decided she doesn't want it, that's totally cool with me. But, my worst fear is that she's expecting that I make it and the day before the party, she's going to call looking for it. What to do? The ball's in her court now, should I just leave it there?

13 replies
Mac Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 14

You need to call her to get final confirmation...better yet, have all your customers put up a deposit BEFORE sending sketches.

Donnagardner Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 14

I would send her an emial saying she needs to contact you by a certain date and time to verify she still wants the cake or you wont be able to do it. Then the ball is really in her court.

blondeez Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with Mac. You really need to call and get confirmation. She may have had computer problems (just giving her the benefit of doubt).

shelbur10 Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for the advice! I will give her a call and see what's up.

LittleLinda Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 14

Definitely call her; like blondeez said, she might be having computer problems.

shelbur10 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 14

Yay, she emailed finally. Apparently it took a week to decide that she wanted a different color frosting. icon_confused.gif Oh well, at least I know she definitely wants it now.

en-passant Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #8 of 14

Those little red flags in my head started waving when I read this. Get payment in advance or at least a hefty retainer.

LittleLinda Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:25am
post #9 of 14

I never take money in advance; unless it's a wedding cake.

shelbur10 Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:08am
post #10 of 14

I was wondering about that, although it's a bit off topic...do most people get payment in advance for celebration cakes, or wedding cakes? I've seen all the stories about people getting burned...

Mac Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 14

For most birthday cakes, anniversary cakes--smaller cakes, I do not get payment in advance. Weddings and sculpted cakes--I do.

Here is my non-payment story: A chef that I have worked with for quite awhile (you may remember me talking about him taking credit for the cakes he ordered from me) ordered 2 dozen cookies from me for April 3rd. Stressed that he needed them April 3rd.

Delivered them on April 3rd to the store where we both occasionally teach classes. No money for the cookies and since he orders from me all the time, no problem...I catch up with him the next day. Called him and he said he would leave the check for me at the store on Sat. Saturday, no check--called him. He said that he put check on my bulletiin board and maybe it fell off and behind some stuff on the floor. Nope!

Said he would check on Monday but right then, he was catering a job. Finally caught up with him on Monday and he paid with check...not a big amount, only $48.00. Deposited it on Tuesday with the rest of weekend checks. Check came back "account closed". Called his bank and that account had been closed quite awhile (Took me almost a month to get notification from bank). Called him again and for 3 three days, he kept saying he would leave money at store. Even went to store to collect it from him and he didn't have the cash. Told him it was on a closed account and he faked knowing anything about a closed account. Finally got money yesterday--over a month since he wrote the check. NO MORE ORDERS FOR HIM!

marmalade1687 Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 14

Mac, that's called FRAUD!! He's lucky you were nice and didn't involve the police (at least a lawyer)!

I don't get a deposit on small cakes, but on large orders over $100.00 (sometimes on smaller ones too), I get a deposit of 50%.

pipe-dreams Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 14

I get deposits for wedding or big celebration orders.
If it's a bday cake or anything under $100, I tell them I will get payment in cash upon delivery. If I show up and they don't have the money, then they don't get the cake.

I delivered a cake to a restaurant a few weeks ago. Girl was having her bday party, said it started at 7pm. I got there at 7:15, and walk into the party room. EMPTY...nobody was there. I got a little freaked out for a minute. So I went outside, called my roommate to get girl's number off the fridge(I left my phone at home). Call her, goes straight to voicemail. So I tell Dh that I'm gonna go sit in the party room til someone comes. If they don't have the money, I'll be bringing the cake back home with us. Luckily, I went back in and there were 2 men in there this time waiting to pay me.

I just don't want to run around meeting up for deposits for celebration cakes. Obviously, I will be mad when it bites me in the butt, but my family loves cake, so I won't be too upset b/c at least I can still put it in my portfolio!

cheesecakes-galore Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #14 of 14

On small orders I don't get payment up front. But on all orders $50 and up I do require a deposit, just to ensure they are seriously wanting to get it. I figure if they aren't going to pay for a small $30 cake, we will have fun eating it! And as pipe-dreams said, another pic for the portfolio!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%