"dinosaur Eggs" Using Wilton Petite Egg Pan

Decorating By reesinga Updated 11 May 2009 , 12:53am by mommyle

reesinga Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hello All - I have been decorating cakes for a little while and wanted to try something different. My 3 year old is having a dinosaur themed birthday and I thought it would be cute to make "dinosaur egg" mini cakes for the kids. I found the Wilton Petite Egg pan before Easter thinking it would be perfect. But now I am looking at it wondering what the best way to make these things!

It looks like each egg will only hold about a tablespoon of batter, but I was thinking I could make cake balls and mold them into the pan.

As far as frosting them - I was thinking fondant, which I have not done yet but want to try, I was also thinking of dipping in chocolate.

If you all have any ideas or suggestions, I wold love to see! Thanks so much from the newest newbie! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
reesinga Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #2 of 5

Anyone, please?

sarahcupcake Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 5

I would try dipping them in chocolate, I think it would be the easist solution. If you wanted colored eggs you could use the Wilton Candy Melts, those are really easy to work with and you can find them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I have the same pan and used brownie mix to make small treats for my babies so that's an idea too. Hope this helps!

reesinga Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #4 of 5

Thanks Sarah! Brownies are a great idea!

mommyle Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

Hi there.
I have done those eggs using ALL types of cake batter. 1/4 cup of batter is ALL that you need (the middle sized icecream scooper). It makes them rise above the pan and then you might need to trim some off the sides (do it when the cakes are COLD or frozen). you can ice them any way you want. Actually if you are going for egg, just use white cake (or blue and speckles), but the FUNNEST thing to do is to fill a bunch of bags with different colors of icing and let the kids decorate their own!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%