Started A New Website And Need Cakers Input

Business By T-Bird Updated 11 May 2009 , 12:23pm by cylstrial

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:02am
post #1 of 12

Hi all, I just started my own business and made up a webpage... I've had minimal input from friends, but really need some input/advice from those who know what's going on and what works. So, if you have a minute, and don't mind, please take a look at my site and let me know what I could do to improve it and make it customer friendly.

Thanks a ton!
www.triciascakesbydesign.com

11 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:30am
post #2 of 12

I think it's pretty nice. And I'm not all that experienced on the biz aspect yet...but looking at it from a consumers eye, the page on pricing gets a little confusing. Maybe if you used the same info and spaced it a little differently it wouldn't be confusing. Maybe section everything in their own little spacing area...I hope I'm coming across clear...sometimes I babble. Hope that helps.

BTW....your work is beautiful and congrats and tons of success to you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:34am
post #3 of 12

I like your site there is a lot of good info. The only thing I would say is maybe you could have better backgrounds for your cakes. I've used sheets and plain science project boards as a background and you can't even tell that I took the pictures in my kitchen.
But that is nit picking. Your sight is great!
Jen...

T-Bird Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks bakermommy4, I tried spacing a little differently on the pricing page, and added bullets... moved a couple of things to hopefully make it flow better.

Thanks for you input and compliments!

T-Bird Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:03pm
post #5 of 12

Mellormom, thanks for your compliment and advice... I've tried to use backgrounds when possible (once I thought to use them) I know someone posted a site to edit pictures with bad backgrounds, but I have no idea where, hopefully they will re-post it here so that I can look into it and improve my photos.

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 12

Tricia, Congrats on starting the business! That's wonderful. I like the website, it's very informative. I think the wording of your introduction on the home page is very well written and professional. I agree the pricing is a bit confusing, mostly it's the cupcake pricing that lost me. The 3 price points you list at the top are a good way to give customers an idea of your price ranges. I might leave out the cupcake pricing and just state that you offer cupcakes as well and their pricing depends on size and complexity of decoration. Since you offer very custom cakes I would include a paragraph that says something like 'There are many factors that determine the price of a custom cake. Size, number of people to be fed and decoration are just a few. With a private consultation we can design a cake that will be beautiful as well as fit your budget.' It's not the best wording but I hope you understand the idea. You have a great amount info and content on your site. So many sites lack substance. Everything is clear, easy to read and easy to navigate. If you want to check out someother cake sites to get ideas, my website has hundreds of links you can check out. Congrats and good luck!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 12

I like it very much. It's very user-friendly and definitely gives the customer clear ideas about who 'you' are. I agree with a previous poster....make the backgrounds of your cake pics. consistent for the future. But it didn't detract from the overall impression I got looking through it just now.
Best wishes! You do very good work!!! thumbs_up.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #8 of 12

T-Bird, I forgot to mention how informative and well written your site is. To me the pricing thing was the only issue. I have just put a site up myself and if it's alright with you, I'd like to use yours as a template. I don't go into detail about pricing at all on my site and I think I should...and the info about the toppings is very cool.

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 12

Very Nice website! You should be very pleased!
If you are comfortable putting up a picture of yourself that would help potential customers feel more comforatble.
I have just finished a marketing course for online business and one of the main points is to have a photo of who you are. It shows the customer you believe in your site enough to put your photo up and that you are trustworthy not anonymous.

People like to see who they are dealing with even if online.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 12

Well done. I liked that it was very informative.

T-Bird Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks to you all for your time, compliments and advice! icon_biggrin.gif I've tweeked the pricing page... and am looking to improve my picture backgrounds. Thinking about posting my photo... just haven't had one taken in about 5 years!

Bakermommy4, you are welcome to use my site as a template if you want, I'm flattered! Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 12

Congrats T-Bird! I have driven past Aunt B's a million times. My husband's parents live in Teays Valley. =o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%