I Have To Know

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 9 May 2009 , 10:15am by umgrzfn

umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:58am
post #1 of 7

I can't find it...so here it goes...WHAT DOES VODKA HAVE TO DO WITH FOOD COLORING???!!! I have seen a lot of cake decorators on here refer to mixing alcohol with the food coloring. I do it cause that's what it says to do thumbs_up.gif however, I don't know why icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif Anybody?

6 replies
umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:00am
post #2 of 7

Here's something funny that I forgot to mention. Something I was working on (was watching a tutorial) said to mix "clear alcohol" with the food coloring. So what did I do.... icon_surprised.gif Yep, I mixed rubbing alchol with it. Well, it is clear! icon_razz.gificon_redface.gif

BarbaraK Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:08am
post #3 of 7

I believe the alcohol is to dilute the food colouring so that when you paint with it, it is not so thick. Also the alcohol evaporates and leaves no trace.

Mommy_Cakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:09am
post #4 of 7

Well here's my take on it:

Mixing Food Coloring with Vodka takes it from a concentrated gel to a liquid form. Alcohol dries pretty fast and once it's dried it leaves no taste behind...and the alcohol evaporates away. You could also use extracts (they have about 80% alcohol).

brincess_b Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:10am
post #5 of 7

if you are just adding colour to icing, then you dont need the vodka.
vodka (or any alcohol) is just for painting on dusts, or thinning out gel colours to paint with. you use alcohol as it dries so quickly, it doesnt affect the surface you paint on, where as water might start making it mushy, and just take a long time to dry. also, water doesnt mix properly with the dusts.

Minstrelmiss Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:14am
post #6 of 7

Oh my! I'm surprised no one caught on to the rubbing alcohol part! No no no rubbing alcohol...vodka, gin, CLEAR DRINKABLE ALCOHOLS ONLY icon_razz.gif You wouldn't want to make someone sick. Well, maybe sometimes you would but... icon_wink.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:15am
post #7 of 7

Ahhhh Haaaa. Thank you! I guess that explains why when I was using one of the dusts (still new at this and not sure what it is exactly. I know it's not petal dust) didn't turn out so well. I was using water and got SOOOO frustrated I about threw out the topper I was working on.
You guys on here are just AWESOME!!!!! Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%