Question About Storing Buttercream

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 9 May 2009 , 6:42pm by Rylan

chellescountrycakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #1 of 9

Okay, I know the answer is here somewhere, BUT, I have been looking for hours. (well, I'll look and then I will see an interesting thread and read, but the point is, I have been looking for hours icon_smile.gif

I KNOW y'all all know, and its just common sense but I need to know icon_smile.gif

How do you store buttercream?

Its just the standard crisco/stick butter buttercream. I usually end up just throwing it away, because I only make cakes every month or so. BUT, I will never make my husband or kids just a 'cake' because I hate to waste the BC. But tonight I have alot left over and want to save it..

and how long does it last? can you still color it? is there any change I need to know about for the next cake I decorate?

8 replies
sweet_teeth Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 9

How long it lasts matters on the recipe. Most can sit out for days. I leave mine out on the counter at least a week. Because sugar acts as a preservative, it is relatively shelf stable.

You can always put it in the fridge if you think you'll be using it soon.. or freeze it if you want to use it down the road. That way you're not wasting any icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #3 of 9

I'm not sure but I think there are people who had it for weeks. I store mines in the fridge.

1234me Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 9

You can freeze it!

GrandmaG Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:46am
post #5 of 9

What kind of a container do you put it in? I've heard tupperware can make it gooey.

DsLady614 Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 9

Put the icing in ziplock bags... flatten it out and toss it in the freezer. Seriously, it works great. I had icing in the freezer for over a month, took it out, let it thaw a few minutes, mixed it by squishing the bags by hand... good as new. I find its a little thinner once frozen... but you can stiffen it up with more powdered sugar if need be.

chellescountrycakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 9

*smooch* Thank y'all so much!!

I will admit that I have left it on the counter on after making a cake and my family ate on it until I finally threw it away about a week later. LOL

In the freezer it goes....

tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 9

It last up to 2 weeks outside, but it starts changing consistency. And it last in the fridge a month. As for me. If i leave it
outside, if grosses me out after the week is gone.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 9

I store mines in those large ziploc bag and then put the bag in an empty 20 pound Satin Ice container. Then pop that in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%