Covering With Fondant Question

Decorating By allayman Updated 9 May 2009 , 9:05am by underthesun

allayman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allayman Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #1 of 3

Iam new at this cake stuff and every time i try to cover a circle cake with fondant it always bunches up at the bottom and then folds up. So i have places where its overlapped and looks horrible. So what is it that iam doing wrong?! Thank you for the help!

2 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:04am
post #2 of 3

Ok, here it goes...bear with me. I'm far from a pro, but I'll give it a try. When you place the fondant on top of the cake, as you start and work it down the sides, sometimes you have to grab the bottom of the fondant with one hand, pull it out a bit and run the other hand down the side of the cake to smooth it. You do this all the way around the bottom of the cake. You kind of have to lift it up a bit and as you have it lifted and you've ran your hand down the side, use the same hand that you've just run down the cake to kind of push it in at the bottom. Hmmmm, not sure if this makes sence or not. If not, I can take some picks of what I'm trying to explain and go from there. Here is a link to a you tube tutorial

I hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:05am
post #3 of 3

It just takes practice. Take it slow and don't get in a hurry. As you smooth the sides, I kind of pull out at the bottom (not stretching). Here is a utube which might help. However, I am a true believer in the Sugarshack "Flawless Fondant" video. it was the best investment I made. Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%