Maroon Icing

Decorating By crazymommyof3 Updated 12 May 2009 , 6:41pm by bostonterrierlady

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a graduation cake tomorrow and my maroon isn't what I want it to be. I did red and burgundy like I found in a color mixing chart for frosting but it's not nearly dark enough. Do I add some blue? Black? What to do?? icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 10

I too will be making a grad cake soon using those same colors I'd like to know the answer here's a bump

Molly icon_confused.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 10

try a little black and wait and see. Texas A&M colour is hard to achieve but doable. its really trial and error. just a touch of black will take a color a darker shade, this colour will stain everything since you have added so much colouring to your icing though.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 10

I need to get fondant and RI to that color that match icon_confused.gif So if anyone has ideas, PLEASEEEEE pass them along!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #5 of 10

Yes I wanted maroon and finally after continuous hot pink I went for white and black cake haha

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:53am
post #6 of 10

I have had luck adding a little cocoa powder to icing and also to fondant to deepen the color. It also helps offset the bitter flavor from all that red and burgundy. You have to be careful not to add too much. It's an easy line to cross and end up with a brownish color. Good luck!

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:35am
post #7 of 10

I made maroon by mixing red with a little bit of violet. Turned out really good.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:47am
post #8 of 10

I start with cocoa added to the icing, then add my red.

Be patient with red/burgundy colours, as they will darken usually as they sit and dry.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:10am
post #9 of 10

Probably not time for the present need, but Cake Craft brand has a color called Super Maroon. -hth CP

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 12 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 10

I used americolor maroon and red red or super red

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%