5.08.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 10 May 2009 , 6:32am by Cupcakeluv24

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #31 of 78

Well I haven't visited the club in a while! I'm not working on anything tonight and it feels NICE lol

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #32 of 78

I have been working on cakes all day. Delivered two this morning, delivering two tomorrow morning, one will pick hers up tomorrow afternoon, and I have a 270 svg. one due Monday that is a donation. It's all baked though. All that's left for tonight is a gumpaste bra for a "let's give her support" type cake. I'm just waiting for it to dry a little more and thought I'd see what y'all are up to.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #33 of 78

I just finished a swimming pool for a pool party tomorrow. I was dragging it out though and worked on it nearly all day...and the cake was already baked...lol. It was just one of those that I wasn't motivated to do. I'll do the cuppies in the morning.....strangely, I feel like something isn't 'done'.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:19am
post #34 of 78

I've got gumpaste bows drying for two separate cakes. Getting ready to put pearls on one now.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:20am
post #35 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

I just finished a swimming pool for a pool party tomorrow. I was dragging it out though and worked on it nearly all day...and the cake was already baked...lol. It was just one of those that I wasn't motivated to do. I'll do the cuppies in the morning.....strangely, I feel like something isn't 'done'.

I know exactly what you mean. This one shouldn't have taken me so long to do, but I wasn't motivated this afternoon either.
LL

leah_s Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:24am
post #36 of 78

I've got gumpaste bows drying for two separate cakes. Getting ready to put pearls on one now.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:26am
post #37 of 78

I just finished fondant figures of the wonder pets (kids tv show). 2 doz cuppies done for tomorrow, need to finish the smash cake. Then start a tinkerbell cake for Mother's Day..due Sunday. Not much going on this weekend.

Jamm...I love that cake!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #38 of 78

I just finished a wedding cake for tomorrow....last night was my late night, took until 2am to finish a cake. Have had problems finding time to finish the cakes since also been trying to get ready for a mother daughter lunch at our church....waiting for two cheesecakes to cool right now, have to make some homemade rolls in the morning.

Cupcakeluv24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeluv24 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #39 of 78

No fun ideas??? For the bachelorette party cake..... icon_smile.gif

pipe-dreams Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:30am
post #40 of 78

Does anyone have a homemade or scratch strawberry filling recipe they would like to share? Preferably without cream cheese. I will be forever grateful!

edited for spelling..

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:31am
post #41 of 78

Hi all, just finished making 150 small white fondant flowers for a B-day cake for next week. It is soooo humid here I wanted to make sure I gave them enough time to dry befoe I dust them.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #42 of 78

Good evening all!
I actually have a busy weekend...well for a newbie anyhow!!
Right now I am making a bunch of cherry blossoms of a mothers day cake...wow they are time consuming!

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #43 of 78

Working on an engagement cake. Have the gumpaste strappy sandal, army boot, jewelry box (with ring) and orchids finished. Triple chocolate with mocha bc, strawberry banana with strawberry mousse, white with citrus bc. All 3 tiers are ready to be stacked and decorated but decided to finish tomorrow because it's not due until 4:00 and I am pooped out.

pipe-dreams Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #44 of 78

for the bachelorette cake you could do something with the bride standing up and a groom on his knees. And she could have him on a leash icon_twisted.gif

If you want something nicer you could do a martini or "drinks" themed cake

Or something to resemble her "last night of freedom" as the guys put it

CanadianCakin Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #45 of 78

Oh and I tried the WASC recipe for the first time and so far so good!
I do have a question though the mothers day cake is my first tiered cake 2 tiers 10" and 8" the bottom is WASC and the top is glutten free which makes it quite heavy....is it necessary to always dowel the bottom tier? It wont be traveling very far.

in2cakes2 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #46 of 78

I would Mamma ash just to be on the safe side.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #47 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_ash

Oh and I tried the WASC recipe for the first time and so far so good!
I do have a question though the mothers day cake is my first tiered cake 2 tiers 10" and 8" the bottom is WASC and the top is glutten free which makes it quite heavy....is it necessary to always dowel the bottom tier? It wont be traveling very far.

Yes, dowel it. You should never try to have a cake support the weight of another cake icon_smile.gif

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #48 of 78

Strawberry Filling!! I get nothing but AMAZING RAVES on this recipe. and its SOOO Stinking EASY!!
Ingredients:
  1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen sliced strawberries in syrup thawed
  1 cup heavy cream
  2 tablespoons cornstarch
Makes: 2 1/2 cups of filling.
Instructions
Combine strawberries, cream and corn starch in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill before filling cupcake/cake.

leah_s Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #49 of 78

YES. You must support the top tier.

in2cakes2 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #50 of 78

That sounds sooo yummy cupcakeluv gonna try that this weekend, thanks.

pipe-dreams Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:43am
post #51 of 78

Thank you SO much cupcake. I'm wanting a banana cake with strawberry filling for us to eat, but I don't want sleeve filling. Hubby doesn't care for cream cheese, and I have a ton of strawberries from Sam's..

I made choc dipped strawberries,apples,and kiwis a few days ago. The dipped kiwis were delicious, sweet and tart.. Everyone should try it!

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #52 of 78

Momma_ash its a good rule of thumb to follow I would hate to see your bottom tier collapse because of the weight.

Also be sure they use two knifes or clean the one they use well before cutting into a gluten cake other wise what was the point it will be contaminated and the non gluten cake eaters wont be able to eat it.

Thank you Pipe-dreams I think I will do a drink themed cake instead of the more typical bachelorette cakes.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #53 of 78

jammjenks--I love your Mother's Day cake. Sooo pretty and the details--wonderful work.

I got up really early this morning to do a practice cake. I've been working on making frozen buttercream transfers as well. The more I work on my technique the more I love this. I also got my first stand mixer this week and I am having soooo much fun. SO much better than a hand mixer.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to get up early and make 60 cupcakes. A friend's daughter recently earned her black belt and I told her I would make the cupcakes for the party.

Have a great weekend all. And to all the Moms out there --HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.

CanadianCakin Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #54 of 78

Thanks ladies I thought I should, I should know just from life in general that taking short cuts never work well in the end....I'm just sleepy gotta lot ahead of me.....and its just soooo much easier to do when the kiddos are sleeping!!!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #55 of 78

I'm just a guest in the club today, not a member! Only thing that I have to do this weekend is figure out if I'm doing a cake for my mom, and what exactly to do. Thinking of doing a gift box cake.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:20am
post #56 of 78

I'm making roses out of modeling chocolate for the first time... They're coming out pretty good! It's for my brother's wedding next weekend, and I'm just making sure they get done enough ahead of time that I don't have to rush around at the last minute. I was gonna make them out of Starburst candies, but they tend to wilt if they get warm, and I do *NOT* want to be stressing and trying to fix 50 roses the day of the wedding while they're trying to take pictures!!!

The modeling chocolate seems to be holding up well, and we haven't turned the AC on here at the house, so I think we'll be okay... I may downgrade the cake from a 5 tier to a 4, and just have more kitchen cakes. I've never done anything more than a three tier, which worked GREAT, but I certainly don't want my maiden voyage to tall cakes to be for my bro's wedding and then it FAIL... Then again, when else will I have an excuse to make THAT MUCH CAKE?!?!? icon_biggrin.gif Heh...

leah_s Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #57 of 78

kansas - SPS. You can easily do a five tier.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:40am
post #58 of 78

Never been to FNCC but sounds fun! I am working on my firt topsy turvy cake. What was I thinking? I put on the top tier and thefondant began to crack from the weight. I had dowels in it. So I took it off and added an extra cake board. It is holding for now. Do you guys know if I can keep the cake in teh refig all night even if it is covered in fondant or is taht a bad idea??

leah_s Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #59 of 78

fondant in the fridge is generally a pretty bad idea. Commercial fondant?

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #60 of 78

Yes the fondant is satin ice (also my first time using). What happens to teh fondant in the refrigerator?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%