What Is Your "go-To" Flower???

Decorating By Alice1230 Updated 22 May 2009 , 4:00am by rlc23

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #1 of 30

I've had my first ever bakery job for 3 weeks now, and we get a lot of orders for cakes with "flowers". The customer doesn't care or doesn't know what they want. So...

I was wondering what some of your go-to flowers are...what flower do you use that quick and beautiful, either buttercream or fondant. I'd really love to know. I fell like I am stuck on the same old daisy pattern! I need some help to get out of the rut!!!!!!!

29 replies
rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 30

I like to make fondant roses. I also like to make Petunias out of RI. Mums are the ones I like to make out of BC.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:36am
post #3 of 30

Roses, rose tip/round tip daisies, mums, drop flowers, hibiscus, dafadils all work good in BC and were very quick for me.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 30

hi, i love to make the rose.. i can make it pretty fast.. i like to use the violets in buttercream, also . with these roses.. or the mum.. for the fall... i love the daisies too. i usually like to make a bigger flower.. then the samll ones to go along with it.. like rosebuds.. sweetpeas, etc.. i like to make the flower that goes along with the persons birthday month.. carnations are easy to make.. hth i just love making them all.. i love the pansy.. i could keep on and on.. ha! if you know all these. then , practice at home.. then show off at work..

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #5 of 30

The rose, the rosebud.

Pipe a fat, long (like an inch and a half long) tapering 'shell' of icing just with a star tube--cover it with light purple drop flowers--pipe a contrast color for the center dots--viola you got a pretty little bunch of lavender.

I dearly love piped lily of the valley--it's just squirt & go.

Congrats on the job.

Here's what it might look like:

Alice1230 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

The rose, the rosebud.

Pipe a fat, long (like an inch and a half long) tapering 'shell' of icing just with a star tube--cover it with light purple drop flowers--pipe a contrast color for the center dots--viola you got a pretty little bunch of lavender.

Congrats on the job.

Great idea! I don't know how to do the lily of the valley....how do you do it?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 30

Sunflowers! I love sunflowers in the fall! I use tip 67 the v leaf one and then the grass tip they are quick and easy!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #8 of 30

Petunias!..Is not common and is not as widely used as the rose.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Alice1230 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #9 of 30

I should have mentioned...I am the only decorator at the bakery and my boss who's great books tons of cakes...I worked 16hrs today...did 15 cakes. I hate that I can't spend the time I want to on my cakes. But the biggest thing I hate is that she doesn't charge very much for her cakes so every time I get really into a cake...i.e. flowers she always stops by to remind me not to do too much for the price she charged. Most of the cakes are sheetcakes icon_sad.gif I think they can be boring...I need simple quick flowers to jazz them up.

I love the ideas ya'll are posting...thank you so much!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

The rose, the rosebud.

Congrats on the job.

Great idea! I don't know how to do the lily of the valley....how do you do it?

I hold my bag straight up & down because they are just little blobs piped out with very little movement from the bag--you just attach the icing to the cake--(the tube is an upside down u shape)--and you keep squeezing steady and let the icing build then draw the tip away and it makes the little ziggedly edge when you draw away.

It's perfectly easy--you just stack them from the top of the cake to the bottom. I bet you can find pictures in an old wilton yearbook. Easy, fun, so pretty.

Alice1230 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #11 of 30

They didn't teach the lily of the valley until the year after I took my classes...at least in my area...I will look for an old book! Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #12 of 30

BC rose and half-rose; rosebud. You can make the half-rose and the rosebud right on the cake so they are quick-n-fast.

Alice1230 Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

BC rose and half-rose; rosebud. You can make the half-rose and the rosebud right on the cake so they are quick-n-fast.

never done a half rose...do you have a pic?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:17am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

never done a half rose...do you have a pic?

The pink ones on the side: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1006073

The orange ones in the corner on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1288468

And some on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1282662

If you do just 2-3 petals, it's a rosebud .... add more petals and it becomes a half-rose. icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 30

I love the blossom set. I use those ALL the time. I also like ribbon roses.

Jen icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #16 of 30

The ribbon roses are popular and quick
fondant diasy also very popular

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 30

Oh, and the fondant calla lily is very eye-catching and classy. People really like that one. Also quick to put together. Keep some stamens on hand.....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 30

I love Mums. I think they are beautiful!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #20 of 30

I've been doing a lot of Duff-style roses lately. They're pretty quick to do.

Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #21 of 30

I like ribbon roses too! I like the calla lily too and think its easy and quick to make, but I have trouble arranging them to where I don't think they looked like I just plopped them on the cake. Maybe its just me icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #22 of 30

Since I routinely keep 20-30 cases of gumpaste flowers of all varieties on hand, whatever I get an order for. Break out the airbrush and 10 minutes later, done.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 30

I work in a fast paced bakery also. When I start getting bored with flowers...my favorite to make is the Iris. I especially like it because you can do it in blue. It is as fast as making an arrangement of roses.
LL

Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJean

I work in a fast paced bakery also. When I start getting bored with flowers...my favorite to make is the Iris. I especially like it because you can do it in blue. It is as fast as making an arrangement of roses.

Beautiful! thanks for sharing. Good to know someone else is in the same situation as me icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

BCJean Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #25 of 30

I also like Lily of the Valley. I use it a lot for religious cakes.
LL

Alice1230 Posted 17 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #26 of 30

BCJean.....is that a dvd you made yourself?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #27 of 30

when your working for someone else in their bakery, you really cant spend the time youd like to, to decorate the cakes. imagine if you spend one hour on one cake then that cake needs to have one hour of your hourly pay added to it. So you really need to do quick flowers directly on the cake. yes it gets boring to do the same thing over and over but the customers only get to see their cake. roses are good any time of year, spring time, you can do daffodils, pansies, daisys, in the summer, hibiscus, daisys, sunflowers, fall, mums, sunflowers, bachelor buttons. Christmas, holly, poinsettia, string of light bulbs, Xmas trees. do a search on sheet cakes and make a note of some designs, theres plenty of ideas in the galleries. The bakery i work at allows me to add a decorator charge perhaps you could talk to the owner about that.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #28 of 30

BCJ, what tip do you use to make the iris?

BCJean Posted 18 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

BCJ, what tip do you use to make the iris?

To make the Iris I use a tip #104. I start each petal by making a tear drop shape then go around the shape making a ruffle.

rlc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlc23 Posted 22 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #30 of 30

So I've never worked at a bakery, but what about gumpaste daisies? You could make tons in different sizes in advance, and throw them on the cakes when needed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%