Planning Ahead, Will This Keep?

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 9 May 2009 , 11:05pm by AfordRN

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 10

I have way over booked myself for next week and would like to tort, fill and frost my cakes ahead of time. I use the strawberry sleeve filling and WASC cake. I made sugarshacks BC. I'm wondering if I fill and frost a cake on thursday if it will keep without putting it in the fridge until Sunday??? Have you had the filling make the cake "mushy" if it sits too long? Love to know any tricks.

9 replies
kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 10

I dont have any answers, but here is a bump.

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #3 of 10

Your icing will be okay but I am concerned with the filling . If the filling does not need to be refrigerated than it should will be okay. I always refridge my cakes no matter the filling.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 10

hi.. i would do exactly as you said .. on thursday... box it up... cover the box with foil... to keep out any air.... so as not to dry out... keep it in the coolest room of your house.. i have done this many times.. it will actually taste better by sunday... i,ve never had any of the sleeve fillings to get soggy... you could smear a little buttercream first... then , your filling.. if that would make you feel better.. .. again, you will be fine to do this cake on thursday.. hth

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 10

2 weeks ago I made my son's First communion cake using the sleeved strawberry filling, a doctored mix and a variation of Sugarshack icing which she mentions on her DVD would be ok if left out. I snaged the last slice icon_razz.gif 5 days later icon_eek.gif and it tasted as if I had just sliced it for the first time. It was not at all soggy. I guess because that filling is so thick and I never go overboard with it.

I personally would not ice and fill a cake that soon for someone I was making a cake for, but no cake goes unfinished in my house icon_smile.gif and based on that we have never had an issue with the filling making the cake soggy even after 5 days at room temp! HTH

AfordRN Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the advice. I feel better about it now.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 10

I wondered the same thing about fillings & soggy-ness. I would not have thought 5 days would be ok-good to know!

Puppylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Puppylove Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 10

I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but I can't learn if I don't ask soooo....Could someone please tell me what a STRAWBERRY SLEE VE FILLING is? TIA for your answer. icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 10

when i make a cake ahead of time.. the receipent always knows .. that i have to do it a little earlier than they want it.. they want only me to make it. so we come to an agreement on this.. i would never make it ahead of time with out discussing it with them first.. i also have several freezers and refrigeraters.. so i do use that too... but , again , i have just put them in the coolest room . wrapped in foil. never had a problem.. even this way.. any cake is better after the first couple of days.. just wanted to make myself clear on if i have to make a cake a little ahead of time..

AfordRN Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 10

CK makes fillings that come in a plastic bag that are called "sleeves". They have preservatives in them and don't need refrigeration. These are available online or at most cake shops.

Unfortunately I have to make my cakes up ahead of time since I work 12 hour night shift next weekend and would have no way to get the cake done. My friend does know I'm making them up ahead and didn't mind.

Maybe some day I'll be able to get rid of the nursing job icon_lol.gif and make cakes instead!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%