Have You Ever Made Wilton's Gumpast Recipie?

Decorating By mareg Updated 14 May 2009 , 4:54pm by mareg

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 22

If so how did you like it? How does it compare to the ready made wiltons?

Thanks!

21 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 22

i am a wilton teacher... i teach all gumpaste flowers at times.. i use to have the students make the recipe. that was before wilton came out with the premade.. the students had a hard time.. when , they came back to class the next week.. their gumpaste was way too soft.. thank goodness for the premade. i really love wiltons premade.. i love nick lodges recipe best of any.. but for premade.. wilton is my choice. i could go on and on about it.. ha! hth.. for me.. satin ice g/p is too soft.. others like it.. i use to use bakel... but now.. i only use wilton premade.. again, i make nick lodges recipe also..

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 22

I've used it a year ago before I even knew the consistency of gumpaste. I personally didn't like all the preparation so I'd rather go with ready made.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 22

I can't answer the question as far as comparing it to the ready made, but I make it from the recipe except I tweaked it a bit and added all of the powdered sugar at the beginning. The first time I made it I didn't read the instructions throughly and so I added all of the sugar and it was ok and then the second time I followed the recipe and it didn't do too well.. It works great for me. I don't know if it is because I live in a humid environment. Where I live they don't always have the ready made and besides it is way less expensive to use the recipe.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 22

I went through a spell where I compared quite a few different gumpastes and here's what I found:

- Love Wilton's premade but don't like the cost
- Didn't like Wilton's mix at all, it was way to soft and hard to work with
- Don't like Bakel's at all. I made some roses last September and they never dried hard. Right now, we've got some humidity and those roses are melting although roses made from other gumpaste's are doing fine
- LOVE LOVE LOVE Nicholas Lodge gumpaste. I've made 3 or 4 batches and I love the way it works and it's not hard to make. However, the last batch I made worked great but my flowers were extremely fragile so I need to figure out what I did. I may not have added enough PS.

Hope that comparison helps!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 22

I went through a spell where I compared quite a few different gumpastes and here's what I found:

- Love Wilton's premade but don't like the cost
- Didn't like Wilton's mix at all, it was way to soft and hard to work with
- Don't like Bakel's at all. I made some roses last September and they never dried hard. Right now, we've got some humidity and those roses are melting although roses made from other gumpaste's are doing fine
- LOVE LOVE LOVE Nicholas Lodge gumpaste. I've made 3 or 4 batches and I love the way it works and it's not hard to make. However, the last batch I made worked great but my flowers were extremely fragile so I need to figure out what I did. I may not have added enough PS.

Hope that comparison helps!

mareg Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 22

I'm making roses with the gumpaste. I have made them before about 3 years ago. I used ready made wiltons fondant with gumtex.

I'm confused.

Do I mix fondant and or gumtex to it? I know the gp will dry hard without gumtex. Right now I have the ready made gumpaste after trying to add gumtex to MFF. Did not work well at all! Am I doing something wrong?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:02am
post #8 of 22

I made the wilton's and it was a pain, I prefer the ready made.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:06am
post #9 of 22

Yes, I've made the Wilton recipe several times, and it really isn't bad at all...at least, for a hobby baker like me! And just recently I took a class at a local bakery, and we learned how to do Nicholas Lodge's recipe. I've now made that recipe probably 5-6 times, and I really love it. Very pliable and nice to work with, and the recipe is no big deal to make up.
So, I guess my answer is: making your own is no big deal, saves a lot of money, and the Nic. Lodge recipe is excellent. hth

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

I'm making roses with the gumpaste. I have made them before about 3 years ago. I used ready made wiltons fondant with gumtex.

I'm confused.

Do I mix fondant and or gumtex to it? I know the gp will dry hard without gumtex. Right now I have the ready made gumpaste after trying to add gumtex to MFF. Did not work well at all! Am I doing something wrong?

they have different ingredients like the mff has butter but the gumpaste doesn't. I would recommend making gumpaste because the mff with gumtex probably won't dry as hard as the gumpaste alone. I know that the gumpaste (wilton's) only has glucose (corn syrup), powdered sugar and gumtex. So maybe that is what the problem is???? HTH

mareg Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #11 of 22

Thanks for all your responses. I've heard of 1/2 gumpase and 1/2 fondant. How does that work? Do you know? Should I stick with all gumpaste?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #12 of 22

I would think that for the roses it would be ok!! You can just knead them together. I don't think that they will be super hard but they will be ok.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #13 of 22

I sometimes use half gumpaste and half fondant. You will have to experiment on how the mixture performs especially with making flowers.

I personally use Satin Ice gumpaste mixed with the Witon fondant to make figures and flowers. I think Wilton is harder compared to Satin Ice.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Thanks for all your responses. I've heard of 1/2 gumpase and 1/2 fondant. How does that work? Do you know? Should I stick with all gumpaste?

I'm a Wilton instructor and have to use Wilton's ready-made gumpaste when teaching, but personally, for nearly everything that needs to dry hard and not be subject to softening from humidity, I use a 50/50 mix of Nick Lodge's gumpaste (which I make in large batches and have on hand at all times - it's super easy to make) and Wilton fondant. I use a pasta machine for rolling out my paste for gumpaste flowers and the 50/50 performs equally well to using straight Nick Lodge or Wilton gumpaste. The advantage of using 50/50 is that you have a longer working time with it, and it is stronger when dried than straight gumpaste.

mareg Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 22

Thank you all for your advice! I think I will make a batch of Nick Lodge's gumpaste. It sounds easy and is lots cheaper.
I've already started my 60+ roses for the 50th cake. I'm happy with the gumpase for now. I'm glad to know that 50/50 will make it stronger though for next time!
Love you CCers!

mareg Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 22

Do you know if Michaels sells Tylose powder?

mareg Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:49am
post #17 of 22

Got my answer...NO Guess I'll be going to Pila's Cake Supply!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #18 of 22

I've used Wiltons recipe for years and never had any problems with it. I'd love to try Nicholas Lodges recipe can any post it?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 May 2009 , 7:45am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

I've used Wiltons recipe for years and never had any problems with it. I'd love to try Nicholas Lodges recipe can any post it?

www.nicholaslodge.com

You will find it there.

mareg Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks Cakepro! I've printed it out and I'm going to try to make it this week. My daughter wants a teacup with alice on top. Her birthday party is next week.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:27pm
post #21 of 22

I have used Wilton gumpaste and like it. I have not tried making Nick Lodge's but plan on doing so as soon as my Wilton gumpaste is gone.

I do have one PROBLEM with Wilton and that is that they continue to supply stores with gum paste that is already rock hard in the package or partially hardened. I addressed this issue with the manager of Michael's in Stevens Point and he was kind enough to agree with me and took it off of his shelves. There is no date on these packages. The three Wal-Mart stores that are within a 30 mile radius from where I live also have dried out gumpaste on their shelves and no one will remove it.

Also Wilton is very expensive - I can't believe that they have not come down in price for the small amount in the package.

mareg Posted 14 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #22 of 22

Peridot, I agree. I like the wiltons but it is very expensive. I won't buy it without a 40% off coupon. I also find that the top of the gumpaste is rock hard. I told the checker at Michaels ...we'll see if that makes a diffrence. I do wish Wlton would put a date on their packages. It would help a lot.

I plan on making Nick Lodges very soon. Sounds easy to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%