Newbie Cookie Questions

Baking By auntmamie Updated 8 May 2009 , 11:28pm by newmansmom2004

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 2

I've been making so-so cakes for awhile now, and have decided to make cookies for Relay for Life next month. I have the ribbon cutter, and plan on making about 400 cookies. But, I'm hoping you can all help me with a few questions.

1) How far in advance can I make these, and can they freeze?

2) Does anyone have a recipe for an icing that can be poured on, and will then set hard? My idea is to just put the cookies on a cooling rack, over a cookie sheet, and pour the icing on. Due to the quantity, one color per cookie. I'm thinking of doing about 10 colors. I would also like an icing that I can scrape up from the cookie sheet and reuse, if there isn't too many crumbs in it.

3) To package, I'm going to buy plastic bags. Any tips on packaging this many? Do I get ties or ribbon for each bag, or will a clear sticker seal work just as well (and one heck of alot easier)?

Thanks!

1 reply
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 2

You can bake your cookies then freeze if they're wrapped well for up to a couple months. Just take them out a couple days ahead of time to thaw and decorate.

You might try using poured fondant - I'm sure there's a recipe on Cake Central - for the icing. Or use any thinned down royal icing. Antonio74 has a royal icing recipe on Cake Central. I actually like the Martha Stewart recipe for royal icing but it does use egg whites instead of meringue powder so if you're using egg whites, be sure to get the pasteurized eggs or egg whites from your grocery store since you don't know who will be eating these.

Just be sure all your cookies have dried thoroughly before bagging them up or you may find some condensation occurring inside the bags.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%