Need Help With Doweling Cake!! Asap!

Decorating By Sneezie Updated 9 May 2009 , 9:20am by umgrzfn

Sneezie Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a sewing machine cake. The directions say to put dowels all the way through the whole cake after its all together. How do I do this when the different cakes are on cake boards? Thanks!R

7 replies
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 8

Sharpen one end of a dowel with a pencil sharpener, then pound it through the boards with a hammer. It sounds violent but it works. Make sure to cut the dowel to the correct length first, or you'll have to do it while it's sticking into the cake! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 8

You use 1/4" foam core board or cardboard (covered) and you sharpen the end of your dowel like a pencil, then take a small hammer and hammer it through all layers into the board. (I use 1/2" foamcore board as my base so the dowels go through it easily)

bakermommy4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Sharpen one end of a dowel with a pencil sharpener, then pound it through the boards with a hammer. It sounds violent but it works. Make sure to cut the dowel to the correct length first, or you'll have to do it while it's sticking into the cake! icon_smile.gif

Second the motion!! icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 8

third it. it is much easier then it sounds.

lardbutt Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 8

I just wanted to say don't really hammer it like your're putting a nail on the wall! lol It doesn't take too much to get it through. I kinda twist it through the boards. Make sure you go into the bottom board as well to make it sucure.

Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:39am
post #7 of 8

I don't hammer mines either. I just push it with my fingers like I push a door.

umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:20am
post #8 of 8

I tried the hammer thing, didn't work. Here's how I did mine and it is just preferance and as soon as I'm good enough and have more practice, I'm sure I will be able to "hammer" the dowels in without destroying the cake! I started with the top layer (which I did not have on a plastic cake plate but a cardboard circle, I pushed a "skewer" (works better than a dowel that you have to sharpen icon_biggrin.gif ) through the cake and cake board. Took it out and did it two more times. Remember that you're skewer/dowel needs to be cut to just the right size!!!!!!! Put the top back on and then push the skewers back down through the top layer (should slide right through) down through the second layer. I then used a dowel to "TAP" the skewers into the board. thumbs_up.gif Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%