Complete Idiots Guide To Ganache......

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 17 May 2009 , 7:29pm by FlourPots

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 19

I'm making a cake this weekend and I really want to try covering it in ganache. Do you have any tips for me? Or maybe a favorite dark chocolate ganache recipe? Any help would be appreciated! I know the basics as far as letting it cool and how to pour it over the cake on a cooling rack..... does it need to be a certain type of cake....?

Thanks in advance!!!

18 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 19

I've put it on top of Dark Chocolate IMBC...and got fabulous reviews.

Don't nobody not like ganache.

I like it softer...so I use about a 60-40 ratio (cream to chocolate)...and I make two or three layers...if possible. Got to make sure it's really cool. I use a spatula to spread it where it doesn't flow.

You really can't go wrong. Your cake could look disatrous and people will still eat it and ask for more.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 19

Decide if you want to use semi-sweet or unsweet chocolate morsels....there's a difference in taste. BOTH delicious, tho.... icon_wink.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 19

Oh, and Baking_Booth: you're not an idiot!!! icon_smile.gif

Baking_Booth Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 19

I'm not an idiot but I sure do love those books! lol

I'm thinking about making a dark chocolate cake with coconut frosting for the filling and covering in dark chocolate ganache. Should I use the kind you pour over the top or the whipped kind? Which would like nicer? (I'm still a newbie!)

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Decide if you want to use semi-sweet or unsweet chocolate morsels....there's a difference in taste. BOTH delicious, tho.... icon_wink.gif

I normally use bittersweet chocolate or Hershey's Special Dark bars. I'm not so sure about using unsweetened chocolate. I don't add sugar, so that doesn't sound very appetizing to me.

I make Epicurious.com's Double Chocolate Layer Cake. It has a ganache recipe that always turns out perfect for me. I normally don't add the sugar to the ganache and I don't use expensive chocolate.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 19

How do you guys get to a consistency to where you can frost the cake and cover in fondant? Anyone? I was looking into ganache too.

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 19

id like to know the answer to this question too!

Baking_Booth Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 19

Like I said, I'm a newbie, but I think you make the ganache, let it cool, and then whip it. Is that about right?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #10 of 19
mbt4955 Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 19

Edna posted a great tutorial on poured ganache. If you want to whip it to a spreading consistency, you need to refrigerate it.

mbt4955 Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 19

btw ... I prefer to ice my cakes with buttercream (I normally use chocolate bc - chocolate cream cheese is even better!) -- chill and pour the ganache over. The ganache is basically fudge and I like the buttercream to cut the rich, dark chocolate. I want people to be able to eat every bite! icon_biggrin.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

btw ... I prefer to ice my cakes with buttercream (I normally use chocolate bc - chocolate cream cheese is even better!) -- chill and pour the ganache over. The ganache is basically fudge and I like the buttercream to cut the rich, dark chocolate. I want people to be able to eat every bite! icon_biggrin.gif

Does pouring the ganache give it a smooth look? Can you put fondant decorations on top? A friend wants a present cake, and I think I'd like to try a ganache to give it a clean, smooth look, then decorate it with fondant.

fidos_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fidos_mom Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 19

I use IndeyDeb's BC then add as much chocolate ganache as I want. It makes a phenomenal chocolate icing. Then if I really want to be bad, I pour more ganache over the top as a garnish. YUMMY!!! People always love it!! icon_biggrin.gif

kjskid Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Does pouring the ganache give it a smooth look? Can you put fondant decorations on top? A friend wants a present cake, and I think I'd like to try a ganache to give it a clean, smooth look, then decorate it with fondant.

kjskid Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 19

Sorry for the double post!

mbt4955 Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #17 of 19

Poured ganache is very smooth and shiny, but you need your buttercream to be smooth first. As far as using fondant decorations, I'm sure you could. You'd have to get them right the first time, because I think you would pull up the ganache if you tried to move a fondant piece.

lesalyric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesalyric Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Does pouring the ganache give it a smooth look? Can you put fondant decorations on top?...

I have these exact same questions. Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #19 of 19

Check out Sharon's beautifully ganached cake (with instructions)...you have to scroll down a little to get to hers... http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-orleans-doberge-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%