Please Can I Get Some Advice?? Picture Of Cake Enclosed

Decorating By bourbs Updated 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm by bourbs

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 22

Hi,

I just made my first fondant cake using mm fondant and I am sooooo proud of it!!!
I little bit of a problem with the bow looking a little frightening, but all in all, i'm very happy
I have one problem though, when i took it out of the fridge to show my husband, the fondant did a kind of funny thing. It settled a bit strange around the ribbon I put around the hat.
Can anyone please give me some advice on what happened here?

Thank you Marie
LL

21 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 22

Sorry I dont have any advice, but it's a really pretty cake!

samiam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 22

Your first fondant cake looks great..you should be proud. Nice job on the butterfly. I think that the problem could have something to do with refrigerating it. I do not refrigerate my fondant cakes after decorating. I have read many forums on here and I think that most others don't as well. It causes condensation. Maybe thats what causes the little sag. Don't worry about it though..it looks great!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 22

it's not a good idea to put fondant in the fridge or freezer...maybe that's why you had the problem. icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 22

Hmmm..it's kinda hard to tell in the picture from the dark light and shadow.Do you have a better pic?

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 22

Did you put the fondant on right after crumb coating? I've found that doing this can sometimes cause settling problems with the fondant (of course I had to learn this the hard way....it wasn't pretty, lol!). In order to avoid that I frost the cake and let it settle overnight (or at least for 7 -8 hours prior to covering it with fondant. Maybe that would help?

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 22

Oh, I forgot to mention that although I have had some success refrigerating fondant covered cakes in the past, I also mostly try to avoid it altogether. I cover most of my cakes with modeling chocolate, so refrigerating those is not an issue. However, I do try to be careful with the fondant because, for me, sometimes the color tends to bleed in the fridge (the stuff can be a bit temperamental in refrigerator).

Edited for spelling

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 22

you cant refrigerate fondant or gumpaste as it will droop

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 22

I think it's a great cake, and like the others have said, fondant is not usually refrigerated for the reasons they've said.
You did an excellent job and should be proud!! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 22

That so does not look like your first cake. Thats really pretty.

I've never had a problem refrigerating my fondant cakes. Never had a problem with my gumpaste figures drooping or so. I think you didn't let the cake settle before laying the fondant.

NikTer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikTer Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 22

I usually decorate my cakes the night before they are due. So I do refrigerate my fondant covered cakes b/c I use fillings that have heavy cream in them. What type of fillings do most of you use so that the cake doesn't have to be refrigerated?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 22

i do different variations of buttercream. I have lorann flavored oils. Most of my clients prefer plain buttercream or chocolate ganache.

I was given a good tip by a fellow CC'er...her screen name is grannysomething i can't remember the name (sorry)

she said she uses flavored gelatin jello packets. Use as much or as little as you need to achieve the flavor you want.

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 22

she said she uses flavored gelatin jello packets. Use as much or as little as you need to achieve the flavor you want

do u just add this to bc icing???

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:04am
post #14 of 22

Did you have dowels on the cake to support the top cake?..Is strange the the settling happened right around the top cake. Im wondering if it has to do with the support of the cake.
Edna icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa2000

she said she uses flavored gelatin jello packets. Use as much or as little as you need to achieve the flavor you want

do u just add this to bc icing???

Yeah, she said she makes buttercream as normal, then slowly adds whatever fruit flavored gelatin jello packet until it reaches the strength of taste she wants.

I will be trying this tomorrow with my mother's Mother's Day cake. I'll let you know how it goes!

Melissa2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa2000 Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 22

thanks

bourbs Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #17 of 22

Thank you so much for all your help! This board is wonderful. Thank you too for all your kind words.

Two things from your advice I know I did wrong. i was worried about my buttercream flowers so I put it in the fridge. I knew fondant couldnt be frozen, but I didnt realize it could be refridgerated, good to know!

Also, I thought to let the cake settle after I baked it, but didnt know I had to let it settle as well after doing the crumb coating. Lesson learned! lol

Edna, no I didn't even think of dowels as the I didnt think the half ball on top was heavy enough to worry about? So I should have added dowels? I havent even tried that yet!
I was just so thrilled that the fondant was so easy to use (kind of almost) lol

T

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #18 of 22

Are they air bubbles? If they are then you can pop them with a needle inserted on an angle, gently push the air out, then smooth the hole over with your fingertip.

I know I sometimes get air bubbles under my fondant and they usually don't show up right away........

BTW Congrats! It looks great!

tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbs

Thank you so much for all your help! This board is wonderful. Thank you too for all your kind words.

Two things from your advice I know I did wrong. i was worried about my buttercream flowers so I put it in the fridge. I knew fondant couldnt be frozen, but I didnt realize it could be refridgerated, good to know!

Also, I thought to let the cake settle after I baked it, but didnt know I had to let it settle as well after doing the crumb coating. Lesson learned! lol

Edna, no I didn't even think of dowels as the I didnt think the half ball on top was heavy enough to worry about? So I should have added dowels? I havent even tried that yet!
I was just so thrilled that the fondant was so easy to use (kind of almost) lol

T

That's your problem then detective.gif ...Look at the cake.. the sagging is around the pan ball.. Even though is not a heavy cake, it has buttercream and fondant wich weights a lot.. Resulting in a broken cake underneath and sagging fondant..Next time use at least some straws. judge.gif

Edna icon_smile.gif

bourbs Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #20 of 22

Thank you Edna. I didnt even think about it. Im only on the beginning of my third Wilton course and we haven't done a thing with dowels at all.
I'll have to do some searches on it, the how to's and all.

Again, thank you very kindly, lesson learned for me!
Marie

tonedna Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 22

I have a few tutorials in Youtube that you migh find helpful.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bourbs Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #22 of 22

Edna, you are just so kind. I am heading right over there as I've seen many of your tutorials. You're wonderful to take so much time to help those of us that still have so much to learn.

Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%