Too Much

Decorating By mrscromer Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:47pm by Rose_N_Crantz

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 25

I just had a lady call wanting a price for a cake for her daughter's wedding. This was to serve 400 people, covered with MMF and some gumpaste flowers and leaves. The cake itself was to be white cake with lemon filling. I quoted her at $4.50 per slice. She thought that was too much. That's at of work for a cake like that. Especially covered in MMF and the flowers. Can anyone else make a suggestion? Did I quote her too high? Thanks

24 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 25

answer...Nope....$4.50 is good for fondant..most high end decoraters in NY or LA charge upwards to $10.00 per serving for fondant and gumpaste flowers...some are more!! You are right it is alot of cake and a tremendous amount of work so don't do it for any less...Stand your ground!!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 25

Considering the work/supplies/etc, I agree...stand your ground. If she doesn't want to pay it, she will go some place else and not have "the cake she wanted". Cheaper is NOT better when you're dealing with cake!!!!!!!

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 25

People just don't understand how much work goes into cakes. Nonetheless, how much the ingredients cost.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscromer

She thought that was too much.

Just because this one person thought it was too much (for her) that doesn't mean it's too high a price. You've priced it right, let her trot on down to Walmart and get a cheap cake that will look and taste that way, too.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 25

Totally agree with every single post on this subject. Don't let one person dictate your prices! She wants a bargain cake so let her shop at a bargain store. Keep your custom cakes for the serious cake purchasers who want a quality product and aren't afraid to pay for it. thumbs_up.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 25

Did she forget that she was serving 400 people. I think that your pricing was a really reasonable. What kind of flowers does she want? I know for me that one rose takes a long time and that has to be at least 4 to 5 tiers so the amount of flowers needed would be alot. Not to mention how many batches of mmf you would need to make. Assuming that you would be doing this by yourself. I would take a whole day to do the fondant alone and a couple of days to bake unless you have a commercial oven and even if did the time it takes to mix it. Maybe you should invite her over to watch you make a cake so she could have a reality check!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 25

what probably scared her was the $1800 price tag rather than the $4.50 a serving.

I have a part in my "how to plan a wedding" presentation called "Do you go math-dumb?" (It was actually in my last newsletter that I sent out last week). If they take 6 people to dinner for $10 each, they can figure out that it will cost $60. But if they plan 100 people at a wedding at $10 each, they can't seem to do the math to figure it's going to cost a thousand dollars.

People just go math dumb.

Had a friend ask me to look over the quote for a rehearsal dinner for her because she thought it was high. It was actually a very good price, but I told her "The reason you think it's high is because you're feeding 50 people. And 50 people at $20/each comes to $1000 no matter how you look at it."

And actually, I think your price is a bargain if that included the gumpaste work.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Do you go math-dumb?"

Love the term "math-dumb"! I'm adding it to my collection of funny but oh-so-true cake terms!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:18am
post #10 of 25

Perhaps you could suggest that she do a portion of those 400 servings in cheaper kitchen cakes and do a smaller tiered cutting cake. I can't imagine how big this cake would be if it is all in one cake...probably like one of those Kuwait wedding cakes!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptier

Perhaps you could suggest that she do a portion of those 400 servings in cheaper kitchen cakes and do a smaller tiered cutting cake...

I don't understand why kitchen cake are any cheaper than the wedding cake. Same amount of cake. Same basic decorations. Why not the same price?

At any rate, I think IndyDebbie is right. People just don't understand that they simply cannot get a custom dessert for less than what they would pay at, say, Outback Steak House (I just ate there tonight!). Why should your prices be lower than Outback, especially when you are making a custom cake for the bride's special day? Outback won't do that for you! (And neither will Wal-Mart!) Stick to your guns!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #12 of 25

I think you priced fine and you are looking at a lot of work.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #13 of 25

To me, for a cake with handmade gumpaste flowers, that's actually UNDERPRICED. Don't sell yourself short... She's in for some sticker shock if she thinks she'll get cheaper (for the same quality) elsewhere.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:08am
post #14 of 25

My definition of a kitchen cake is absolutely no deco whatsoever, not on a fancy stand or dressed up board, nothing. Plain old cake. So, yeah, not much difference. But it certainly wouldn't have GP flowers on it.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:54am
post #15 of 25

I totally agree with what everyone else has said. I priced a cake this week $75 for a 3D tractor cake and the lady thougt that was too high. I would rather lose out on doing a cake than to give it away. People do not realize the time, money, work and stress that are put into these cakes, especially if you are doing hand made flowers, tiered cakes, 3D cakes and things like that.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:10am
post #16 of 25

Ok, first off...people do get "math-dumb". Crazy...but true. Next, sorry to change the subject, but how do you all get someone else's response in your response? I'm a total newbie here so if someone could help me out that would be great!

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:35am
post #17 of 25

Thank you so much for everyone's support on this. I explained this all to her too and I total her to go ahead and get quotes from others and see what she comes up with. I have already called someone else and pretended to be looking for a cake and was quoted 2500.00

So, we will have to wait and see if she calls back or not.

Again thank you all very much.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:09am
post #18 of 25

I would also suggest doing kitchen cakes for a good amount of the servings too. I discount kitchen cakes $1.50/serving since they are just quickly iced in buttercream (on the outside... they are the same as the wedding cake on the inside) and I do not decorate them at all. No borders... no flowers... no nothing and I don't spend the time to ice it mirror smooth either. It takes me no time at all to ice a kicthen cake so I don't feel they should carry the same exact price as a fully decorated cake. My normal cakes start at $5/serving and come iced in BC and fondant and the kitchen cakes don't get fondant unless the client asks for it (and then they only get discounted $1/serving).

Your price was more than fair. Infact, if that price included the flowers, it was WAY low. People have no clue what goes into makeing a cake and sugar flowers.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:20am
post #19 of 25

I agree with everybody here,people have no clue what goes in and the effort in making them.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Next, sorry to change the subject, but how do you all get someone else's response in your response? I'm a total newbie here so if someone could help me out that would be great!

Do you mean like I just did to you? There is a button on the top left that says "quote". You hit "quote" and their response appears ... then you can type above, below or whatever. Also, you can cut out part of it as I did, cutting out the part where you wrote "Ok, first off...people do get "math-dumb". Crazy...but true. " because that was not pertinent to what I'm answering for you.

HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

Next, sorry to change the subject, but how do you all get someone else's response in your response? I'm a total newbie here so if someone could help me out that would be great!

Do you mean like I just did to you? There is a button on the top left that says "quote". You hit "quote" and their response appears ... then you can type above, below or whatever. Also, you can cut out part of it as I did, cutting out the part where you wrote "Ok, first off...people do get "math-dumb". Crazy...but true. " because that was not pertinent to what I'm answering for you.

HTH

hmmmm...mine's in the top right area

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #22 of 25

I had a lady email me about a cake for her daughter's wedding for about 50 people, I told her the minium order for a wedding cake is $300. I rent space from a commercail kitchen and it would cost $ 135 a day to rent the kitchen. Sorry I can't give the cakes away like they do at the Super Target where I work part time. I did a cake there for 300 people, four tier plus Two count them two full sheet cakes for $450.00. That's a 1.50 a serving for a four tier cake with fondant. I think after product and labor we made maybe 50-100 bucks, not worth it! That's why i hate grocery stores

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscromer

I have already called someone else and pretended to be looking for a cake and was quoted 2500.00.

Maybe she was doing the same thing.... maybe she had called someone before you and received a quote that she thought was too high and is now price shopping.

In any event....your prices sound fine.... A cake for 400 is going to take a lot of time to do & it's a LOT of cake!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It was actually in my last newsletter that I sent out last week.

indydebi, you have a newsletter? Do I sign up on your website? I am SO there and looking forward to getting the first one! icon_biggrin.gif

I found it and I am signed up. Thanks, Debi!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:47pm
post #25 of 25

I agree that your price is low to begin with. Just to put in perspective, I got married last year and I paid to have a cake made, I didn't want to deal with the stress and hassle on my wedding day. I wouldn't say that the area I live in is a "rich" area. Most people are used to grocery store cakes and an idea of a "night out on the town" is catching a matinee with a free popcorn coupon and afterwards going to the Olive Garden, if we feel like treating ourselves.

The bakery I got the cake from was recommended by the reception site and I liked the idea of not having to pay a cutting fee by bringing in an outside cake. This bakery would not do any colored icing on the cake because they didn't believe in using artificial colors. The only color they would use was pink, just by adding some raspberry sauce to the icing, and chocolate. Their icing was not white, it was ivory, because again, they wouldn't use any artificial coloring. (but my buttercream recipe uses no artificial colors and it still comes out brilliant white, so figure that one out) They don't use fondant because they think it tastes bad and uses (again) a bunch of artificial stuff. I feel like emailing them a MMF recipe! The only designs they do are the ones in their book. You can bring in a picture of a design and they'll charge an extra $60 for a custom design fee.

For my basic, all buttercream, no colors (and ivory didn't match the rest of the wedding) three tier hexagon cake I paid $4.95 a slice. Plus an extra 60 for a custom design fee because I didn't like any of their designs. Oh, it's an extra charge if you wanted to use chocolate ganache on the cake, but I don't remember how much that was. If you wanted to add any gumpaste flowers or ribbon or any other kind of flotsam on the cake, there was an extra charge. They showed me some gemstone picks they could add to the cake (about the size of a pencil eraser) and those were about $4 each. EACH! and they get those back!

So no, I don't think $4.50 for fondant and gumpaste flowers is a lot. Stand your ground and feel free to use my example if anyone tries to haggle and lower price out of you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%