Help! Lumpy Mmf

Decorating By dragonflydiva Updated 9 May 2009 , 12:38pm by mbt4955

dragonflydiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydiva Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 7

I just want to cry. This is my first time posting here and I'm really sad that it's with a problem. thumbsdown.gif I tried to do a search but I didn't see anything right off and I'm in a terrible time crunch.

The cake needs to be done in 3 hours, 2 layers are done and okay but this batch of MM fondant is really lumpy, still, even after refrigerating it overnight.

Am I going to have to roll it out and pick out all the pieces or is there a better way? I'd appreciate any ideas.

6 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 7

Since nobody else is given' you some help, here's my advice...and I'm by far not a prof!!! However, a couple things when making MMF fondant. *Did you make sure the MM's were completely melted? *Don't over heat the MM's or it will make it hard and CAN cause some lumps. *Did you sift the PS? Sometimes just sifting the PS will make all the diference in the world. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 7

this batch of MM fondant is really lumpy, still, even after refrigerating it overnight.

Am I going to have to roll it out and pick out all the pieces or is there a better way? I'd appreciate any ideas.[/quote]

I also, never refrid. my fondant. I find it makes it harder to work with. If you put it in the fridge, what might have happened is the MM's weren't completely melted and then when they cooled, it caused it to be lumpy. What MMF recipe did you use?????

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 7

I'm no expert either, but you are running out of time so I'll throw something out there. You might try zapping it in the microwave for ... I don't know, maybe 30 seconds at a time. Warm it up a little bit and then see if you can knead the lumps out of it. Don't get it too hot. You don't want it to melt.

Good luck!

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7

you probably need to just sift the ps next time. You still have time to make another batch, just let it sit for about 11/2-2 hrs

dragonflydiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydiva Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #6 of 7

Well, I took turns microwaving it to soften it and rolling it out to pick out the big pieces and eventually got it smooth enough to use.

Thanks for all the tips. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 7

Yea!! I'm so glad that you got it to work. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%