Baseball Cake Blues- (Longwinded- Sorry!)

Decorating By Reimagining_Confections Updated 9 May 2009 , 4:48am by LaBellaFlor

Reimagining_Confections Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 19

Hey there- this has been quite the day. I just finished a baseball cake I made for teachers appreciation. It was two full sheet cakes and a half a sheet cake. Two cakes were a Godiva Chocolate cake and one was a carrot cake. A friend had asked me to make the cake and donate to the community center for all the teachers of the preschool my son goes to. She is on the board and none of the parents were volunteering to bring(or buy) anything for the teachers luncheon today. My friend figured at least they will have cake.

I slaved over this cake(in between caring for three kids-one is 10month old), soccer, t-ball. I am still stained purple from black food coloring. I don't think I showered any earlier than 5pm all week. I made a gumpaste wall, banners with the teachers names, stripes on the field and a sign that for the life of me did not want to stay up much less stay up straight.

I finally finish- think whooh- glad to be done with that. Take it to the community center today and what do I overhear about half way through the luncheon? My friend sniping to a fellow mom that I am hogging all the glory for the luncheon with my friggen cake. She said and I quote" All she made was a friggen cake- while I .....(you get the point" Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr- can I please get my 20 something odd hours back? If this is what friends or for....

Sorry so long- just had to vent

18 replies
en-passant Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 19

...... and jealousy rears its ugly head...

The cake is fantastic. You should be proud!

cricket0616 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 19

What a witch!! If it was me, I would have said something to her after it was over...along the lines of "I am so sorry that I made such a fuss at the event. I did not mean for my cake to steal the spotlight as you say". Let her know you heard her.

Stephi1 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 19

People Suck!

calynmom Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 19

Jealous is right. People that make remarks like that are very jealous.

Don't give her a second thought. YOUR CAKE IS AWESOME !!!!

Reimagining_Confections Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 19

It justs make me feel sad.......and like popping that bottle of Pinot Grigio in my fridge after hubby comes home and takes the kids off to sports!!!

G_Cakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 19

My mother always said that when someone makes a negative comment about you it is because they are jealous.

Your cake is wonderful and it deserved to be in the spotlight. Perhaps this person had made cakes for previous luncheons that were not "spotlighted" as yours was.

Don't fret over petty comments from someone so lacking in there own self confidence that they need to put others down in order to elevate themselves and feel better.

Everyone else loved it I am sure and no doubt they will be talking about it for future events.

If your friend really is that petty then obviously she was not your friend at did a beautiful cake and everyone enjoyed it and that all that matters.

Mme_K Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 19

For starters, let me say you did a great job on that cake! thumbs_up.gif
I'm sure the teachers appreciated all your work, and the way you personalised that cake for them.

If she thinks you are "hogging all the glory" maybe that's because it was the best thing about the luncheon? You deserve the glory, and as others have said... it's that little green monster showing up......

Can you imagine what some of the other mothers are thinking about her complaining like that? While in their minds, they see the good thing about the luncheon..... your cake! thumbs_up.gif

Reimagining_Confections Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks guys, I feel better now. Still gonna have some Pinot icon_lol.gif

3GCakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 19

That's one of the neatest stadium cakes I've seen. Usually I don't care for them.

You can't help it that you did something that you are good at...and to the best of your ability. SHould you have brought a crappy cake?

Does the person who gets to be the treasurer of an organization because they have an accounting degree...mess up the books just so no one gets jealous of their ability? No!

Be happy with your effort and enjoy your Pinot.

Bellatheball Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 19

icon_evil.gif First, she's probably right. You probably dig hog all the attention...and rightly so. That cake is fan-freakin'-tabulous. Seriously, it's awesome and...well, cool. If she's gonna pout, let her. In the meantime, go soak up the attention and know it was well deserved. High five.

jlynnw Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 19

OK, I just don't get this! Your cake is fantastic. You "friend" must know you make fantastic cakes and that is why she wanted you to do one. Did she expect you do downgrade your ability just because you were the only parent to provide a incredible thank you for teachers you appreciate or just do something on her ability level? Enjoy the pinot! Forget your"friend" and have a great Mother's Day and realize that you are above all this poo!

BabeyCakey Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 19

Wow...with friends like that, who needs enemies? Your cake is AMAZING!!!

hilly Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:10am
post #14 of 19

AWESOME cake! Totally jealous and probably doesn't realize how many hours goes into a cake that magnificent icon_biggrin.gif .

indydebi Posted 9 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #15 of 19

You know what ... she's just a b*tch.

You donated cake for 250 people (you said 2 full sheets plus a half sheet) and she's WHINING because SHE'S not in the spotlight? And that's all it is ..... she's being a b*tch, uh, a BABY because she's not the center of attention.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #16 of 19

Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's support. I had a nice evening and shared my Pinot with my hubby. Yeah- some people just surprise you and not in a good way.

Have a nice evening everyone.

CakesbyCindi Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:28am
post #17 of 19

I have learned... that a greater a person's sense of quilt the greater their need to cast blame on others...

Don't know where I read this, but it has stuck with me for many years.. Maybe she didn't fulfill her end and was feeling guilty and because she was jealous of your success she blamed you.

Your Cake is absolutely wonderful.. Be proud! Remember that for everyone who talks about you, there is someone talking about them.

ericaplh Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #18 of 19

The cake came out awesome... I've had comments to that effect made before as well, and I chalk it all up to jealousy...

Green is truly an ugly color!!!

Don't let it rain on your are quite amazing!

LaBellaFlor Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #19 of 19

What a BEEEACH! Love your cake! I had something similiar happen. Made a FREE wedding cake for a couple, had to ask a few times for a picture of what they wanted, got it a week before their wedding, at reception the bride was standing right in front of me (her back was to me), bad mouthing me about I kept asking her for a cake. FREE, uh, never again! as they say "No good deed goes unpunished"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%