Just Feeling A Little "bummed"

Baking By grandmaruth Updated 9 May 2009 , 10:51am by grandmaruth

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 10

i recently made a wedding cake as gift for a co worker, they were strapped for cash and what the heck....well the cake ended up costing me more than if i had just put some money in a card but oh well....it was my first wedding cake and i need the experience...i was looking forward to it...working full time i had a week into making it , couple hrs. here, couple hours there....running around in spare time to get extras, flowers,ribbon,frame etc...it was all a learning experience...pluse i also made 2 doz bride and groom cupcakes to go with it.....she had a small reception at home after going to the justice of the peace...so many compliments , everyone loved it....so a couple of days pass and i say to her...dont worry about washing the plates,dividers etc...just put them in the plastic container i gave you and i will wash them....well......seems the groom got a little wasted and while cleaning up all the stuff got thrown out......5 days later and i had to say something first!!!! i just dont know how to feel about this....i have to get over it....it was a set from Wiltons that i bought to make tiered cakes...and it is all in the garbage....the picture is posted in my pictures.....can you guys help me to put this into perspective and move on....i just kick myself because i didnt make myself clear as the the plates they were on....oh well....thanks Ruth

9 replies
en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

I would ask her to reimburse you.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 10

did you tell her to save the plates/pillars before you gave it to her?

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 10

I'm really sorry i would ask her to reimburse you......the cake is very pretty by the way

shelly

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 10

So sorry! I have had similar things happen when you are trying to do something nice for friends and it leaves you feeling like hell. You wonder why people do not think as much about you as you do for them. If you were in the same boat as your friend you probably would have come clean and offered to pay for it. I don't understand it either. Only thing I can say as that she probably doesn't even realize how much it cost. If you are not into cakes you have NO IDEA how expensive things are. She probably thinks it is a cheap plastic plate the cost a couple of dollars.

grandmaruth Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 10

cricketo601...thats exactly what i heard...they had better quality plastic plates and all the cake stuff got mixed up in it....oh well...thanks for the kind words and one more thing...i am new at this and truthfully i dont know why this ended up in the cupcake category icon_confused.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 10

Aww that totally sucks. I too would ask her for a reimbursement on the plates. You did an entire cake AND cupcakes for no cost and the LEAST she could do is pay for what she lost.
Maybe with the whole hustle and bustle of cleaning and just the whole ora that comes with a wedding, she honestly didn't mean for that to happen...even with that said...she should pay for the plates.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:31am
post #8 of 10

I'm sorry that this happened....it's the pits! The cake was beautiful! thumbs_up.gif Did you show your disappointment? It's hard when it's a co-worker...I know your feelings are hurt as well as being down right mad! icon_mad.gif Just chalk it up to her ignorance, and be proud of yourself for putting so much effort into making her day "special". She might not....but, God will pay you back! One way or the other, you will get it back ten fold.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #9 of 10

Bummer!!!

I can attest to the fact that cake civilians don't know much about the separator plates and pillars. I got married before I got into cakes. The lady who made my wedding cake didn't mention to us that she needed any parts back. I didn't know that they weren't "disposable." Yes, they just look like cheap plastic plates. Plus, I left the reception and went on my honeymoon, so I didn't even know what happened to all the parts!

She then wanted to charge us for everything that wasn't returned, which I didn't think was fair, since she didn't tell us to save everything, and it wasn't in the contract. Apparently, the secretary at the church where the reception was held, found everything and returned it to us, thankfully.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, especially since you were in the red for this cake anyway! I'm sure it was an honest mistake on the bride's part, and if she was really kind, she would offer to pay. But I don't think she has an obligation to, since she wasn't told in advance to keep the plates and pillars. icon_sad.gif Sorry.

grandmaruth Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:51am
post #10 of 10

Judydp and springflour, thank you so much for your encouragement...you are right...i shouldnt assume that people should know not to just throw things out...but i cant believe it didnt at least cross their minds....it is what it is...its all good right?!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%