Can/should Gumpaste Flowers Go In The Refrigerator?

Decorating By ps3884 Updated 8 May 2009 , 10:02pm by anasasi

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

I am putting gumpaste roses around the base of a cake that needs to be refrigerated because of the filling. Can I put the flowers on ahead of time? Or will being in the fridge overnight cause a problem?

TIA,
Penny

7 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3884

I am putting gumpaste roses around the base of a cake that needs to be refrigerated because of the filling. Can I put the flowers on ahead of time? Or will being in the fridge overnight cause a problem?

TIA,
Penny

Yep, I do it without any promlem. Just make sure there is not a lot of moisture in your fridge.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for your input. I thought you could but, I don't do a lot of flowers. The reason I ask is that I just found out that the flowers "melted" on the 3 tier round I did last week with pink roses. My friend picked up the cake the night before and brought it to the restaurant and they put it in their fridge. She said when she got to the restaurant the next day, they were putting fresh flowers on it because the gumpaste ones had "melted" in the fridge. icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

I have another cake with a lot of roses that I am working on right now. It was going to be dropped off tonight but now I'm worried about the flowers. Should I be?

-Penny

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 8

Fairytale, do you keep baking soda in the fridge? Is that enough to eliminate the moisture problem/melting flowers?

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 8

I do it all the time too without any problems...

Fairytale Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3884

Thanks for your input. I thought you could but, I don't do a lot of flowers. The reason I ask is that I just found out that the flowers "melted" on the 3 tier round I did last week with pink roses. My friend picked up the cake the night before and brought it to the restaurant and they put it in their fridge. She said when she got to the restaurant the next day, they were putting fresh flowers on it because the gumpaste ones had "melted" in the fridge. icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

I have another cake with a lot of roses that I am working on right now. It was going to be dropped off tonight but now I'm worried about the flowers. Should I be?

-Penny

That's to bad about the flowers. I'm sure it was because of the moisture in the restaurant's fridge. They probably store a lot of other foods which contain moisture, and likely open the door a lot, so that's what can happened. If it's not in my own fridge, then I won't put the flowers on until the day of the event.

Fairytale Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by anasasi

Fairytale, do you keep baking soda in the fridge? Is that enough to eliminate the moisture problem/melting flowers?

Yes, I keep baking soda in the fridge. Some refrigerators also have a setting that allows me to set the moisture level.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

Oh, okay. Thanks, I'll have to go check to see if my fridge has such settings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%