Stumped - Need Quick Replies Cake Due Tomorrow!!

Decorating By Mandica12182 Updated 20 May 2009 , 3:03pm by solascakes

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 21

So I got this last minute order for a three tiered cake for tomorrow by noon. I said sure no problem cause this girl could use some money!!

Well, she said she trusts my judgement and to use my imagination....but, you all know how hard that is to do when you don't really know the person at all!! Her daughter is turning 18, she plays the trombone, and loves her french class....thats all I got.

My cousin is friends with her so I asked her for ideas and she said maybe do an eiffel tower somehow, and to write happy birthday stephanie on it in french...thats a great start but....how in the heck am I going to get an eiffel tower made in one day on top of making the cakes icing etc???

Come on ladies I know you can come up with something for me!!! PLEASE?? Also, name some color schemes that you all love...I have free reign on the color aspect and I always tend to pick the same colors over and over!!

Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
karaheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karaheather Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 21

I am really sorry, but this is just impossible. How can you possibly make and ice cakes in a day, let along dowel and stack???

Musical notes around the cake, you haven't got time to make anything have you but I would have said try making some trombones. Maybe theming it all in the colours of the French flag, but you need to let the cake dry before you do anything on it. I would just phone her up and say it is impossible. Sorry.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 21

tower made in chocolate. i think fireworks too, maybe piped on the cake?
18 year old girl screams pink too, maybe dark on bottom, middling in the middle, pale on top.
xx

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 21

Here's one by Nunuk that I just love. Maybe you could P.M. her to see how to make the Eiffel Tower in a hurry. Just a thought.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1265111

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 21

Those french poodle cakes in the gallery was the first thing I thought of...pink and black ...do the eiffel tower as a bct on the side of one of the tiers if you're unable to produce one for the top.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 21

You could make four sided to the tower from royal icing. but make them more straight with out the curve the real one has. and put them together on top of the cake. or a gumpase plaque on a popscicle stick of the tower. one sided flat. Music notes are easy to pipe on. Pick your colors and the Happy Birthday in French is a great idea!!! Can't wait to see it.

all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 21

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1352417

w/white chocolate tower on top or a cookie decorated like the eiffel tower
either keep the bows(oh how I love this cake!!! bows and all!!!) or instead of them, put musical notes there piped with chocolate/candy melts or cut out of fondant/gumpaste

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 21

having taken alot of French in HS myself... there is more to it than the eiffel tower... i would do one tier as a cafe, with wine and cheese, the second on as the Music one, like notes from her instrument is floating above the cafe onto the sky and the botton just make it shades of pink and cobble stone., So to make sense of the idea, the bottom is cobblestone like the streets in Paris, the second tier is a cafe scene, with wine and cheese, and the top a sky color, with notes floating in the sky... HTH

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 21

If you want the Eiffel tower to stand up on the top of the cake...you could make a cookie and decorate it. I think a poodle piped on the side of the top tier would be cute also. The trombone and musical notes could then go on the lower tiers.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by karaheather

I am really sorry, but this is just impossible. How can you possibly make and ice cakes in a day, let along dowel and stack???

Why is that impossible? I always have some cakes in the freezer for just such an impromptu project! icon_biggrin.gif

Another idea for piping Eiffel Tower is melted chocolate. You simply put the pattern under wax paper, pipe away, chill, lift off and set in place!

Have fun, it's just cake!

Mandica12182 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by karaheather

Musical notes around the cake, you haven't got time to make anything have you but I would have said try making some trombones. Maybe theming it all in the colours of the French flag, but you need to let the cake dry before you do anything on it. I would just phone her up and say it is impossible. Sorry.

I am always baking and rushing out cake orders soo...this is not impossible!! I just need ideas on making an eiffel tower in such short notice.

I'm still reading the other replies though I am sure I have some great ideas!!

Mandica12182 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks for the responses ladies I have some greast jumping off points!! We'll see what I can come up with!!

Mandica12182 Posted 14 May 2009 , 10:44am
post #14 of 21

So the last minure lady canceled right when I was starting to bake the cakes.....GRRR! Never again do I try to be nice to a friend of a friend of a friend......sucks!! But, the bonus was we all had some peanut butter cake at my house!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:08am
post #15 of 21

Well, that just stinks! That was really rude of the lady, not to mention that now we don't get to see an awesome cake. At least your family gets to eat what you made -- bon appetit! icon_wink.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:26am
post #16 of 21

I say you still make the cake. For us. icon_smile.gif

L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 14 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #17 of 21

Did you charge her for the cakes?

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 21

do people not realize what goes into making cakes??? it isnt like we just pop over to the grocery store and slap on a cute little candle.... that is just not nice.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #19 of 21

I hate last minute orders for just that reason. They are people spontaneously ordering a cake, and I will get it halfway done, or get the complicated part done, and then they will cancel the order because they have had time to call around and find someone to do it cheaper.

People Suck....

Mandica12182 Posted 20 May 2009 , 2:54pm
post #20 of 21

Yes, I agree people do suck!! She had the nerve to say she could get a full sheet at walmart for 36 dollars and then call me back wanting a 1/2 sheet from me...I told my aunt to tell her she better call walmart, cause I am done dealing with the cheapskate!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 20 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 21

It might be better to get a non-refundable deposit for a last minute order like that.But at least you have a nice cake to enjoy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%