Fondant Bows

Decorating By jdrew Updated 8 May 2009 , 11:25pm by Rylan

jdrew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdrew Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 13

I have tried every way of doing fondant bows on the internet. Mine just don't look too good. When you look at it, you get the idea if you stand far away but up close the bow doesn't look like it's fit well together. I don't know if I'm getting the size right. Does anybody have a template or sizes they use for the loops. Not the single bow but the multi loop bow.

12 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 13

On the home page, I believe there are video tutorials on bow making...not sure though but you can check it out.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 13

In sugarshacks video she uses different sizes, starting with longer ones on the bottom and then working way up they are a little shorter. She also used chocolate to seal together. I hope to try that soon. When I have made one I got a pan that was the size of my cake and used it to see how big my loop needs to be, then make the rest on the bottom that size. If you can get her boxes and bows dvd it would be worthy investment. It is at sugarshack productions.

jdrew Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 13

I think I'm going to get that.

I can't wait to have beautiful bows!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 13

I don't have a template. I determine the size of the length by the size of the bow I want. If I want a 6" bow, I cut them 6". Usually, but not always x3/4"...sometimes wider, sometimes narrower. Using the 3/4" width, I'm thinking I use 17 loops. I found that I have a better fit if I taper the loop (I usually do this after I fold it in half...

cut the strips
dab water/extract/gum glue on one end
fold over
press ends together
pinch the ends almost to a point and taper about 1/2 way up the loop slightly
leave to dry on their sides

I hope you find what works for you

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 13

There is a tutorial with pics but not a video. Do a search on how to make a fondant loop bow, it's very helpful.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 13

I haven't made a round mound of loops type of bow yet but I have done multi loop ribbon bows. I have one drying right now for a hat box. I have done flouncy style and a stiff ridgid style. I like the character of a floppy looking bow. I know cutting the corners off each bow loop it a huge help with fitting it all together when it's dry. Cut the ends like an arrow point.

jdrew Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 13

Do you think drying on the sides is better then hanging?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 13

I'm unable to hang them to dry when my paste, for whatever reason, is having issues, It wants to stretch and tear sometimes...I don't run into the problem drying them on their sides.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrew

Do you think drying on the sides is better then hanging?

That depends on the look you want.

The bow loops dried on PVC or wooden dowels or whatever have very uniformly rounded ends. You can tell they are dried on a form.

The bow loops dried on their sides are less uniform, and that is my preference. I think they look much more natural.

That's just my personal preference.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 13

Me to Cakepro!

And... Stuffing some rolled up cling wrap helps it to keep some shape.

jdrew Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks!

Julie

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 13

Check out youtube for videos. There are tons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%