Gumpaste Homemade Vs. Store Bought????

Decorating By wverbest Updated 9 May 2009 , 5:53am by Rylan

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 18

Which do you prefer? Is it worth it to make the stuff or just buy the ready made from the store? I have never worked with either and want to try making some little critters for a cake I am going to do next month.
Thanks,

17 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 18

its a good idea to start with store bought stuff, cause then you know what you want your home made stuff to handle like.
xx

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 18

I've only used gumpaste 2 times. The first time I made wilton gumpaste, the second time I ordered some premade stuff-I didn't notice any difference......I think if you follow the directions on the powdered kind, it will come out just fine. I also wrapped the extra "homemade" gumpaste in syran wrap, and it still feels just fine. So I think it is whatever you feel comfortable with!

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 18

I use the wilton powder to make it all the time - coz its cheaper AND because for years I bought it pre-made ... and I can tell NO difference between the 2!! And its super-easy to make!! HTH!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 18

I've always used Wilton powder, but so many decorators have said ... "make Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It is so easy and comes out perfect every time!"

I had serious gumpaste issues with daisies I was making for an April wedding. I was frantic. Made Nic's recipe, it was simple and I loved it. I don't plan to ever use anything else unless I am out of tylose!

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 18

I use to make my own, but now I use Satin Ice. For me, it's just the lazy way out. Can't say I notice any difference.

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 18

I buy CK's mix for $1.99 from Global, cheap and really easy, just add water.

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 18

Nicholas Lodge's recipe this is BEST. With stands humid places, espeically if there is a swap cooler in the room. I've used others, but will never go back there again.

THANKS NICK.....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #9 of 18

What the heck is a "swap cooler?"

mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

What the heck is a "swap cooler?"

Cakepro, I do not think that is a Texas term. icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #11 of 18

LOL Martha! I was just thinking about you and that awesome Texas sheet/sheath cake I'm gonna make tomorrow. I am craving chocolate like crazy!! icon_biggrin.gif

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 18

Swap cooler? It's like a air conditioner it cools your home. It's got like three pads on it then water is dripped from the top of the pads and then the fan sucks the air from the outside to be blown into the house. A lot of people use them where it is very dry with little humidty instead of an air conditioner

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #13 of 18

I made 200 roses for my daughter's wedding cake, and I bought Nicholas Lodge premade and it is the BEST!!!! Wonderful texture and did just what I wanted and dried nice.....

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #14 of 18

thanks everybody....I think i will get some of the nicholas lodge kind and go from there.

mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 18

wverbest, I made my gumpaste from Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It is on his website. Honestly, I wasn't aware that you could buy his ready made. Here is the link to his website ... http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:44am
post #16 of 18

ready made = clean kitchen

homemade = messy kitchen... well kind of

Cakepro Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Messiness is for the inexperienced.

I can make a batch of Nick Lodge gumpaste in about an 8" x 8" square area with about a quarter-cup of powdered sugar that gets all kneaded in, all in about, oh, 8 minutes from start to wiping down the counter.

icon_smile.gif Just sayin'. The more experienced you are, the faster you are, and the more adept you are at not making a mess.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 May 2009 , 5:53am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Messiness is for the inexperienced.

I can make a batch of Nick Lodge gumpaste in about an 8" x 8" square area with about a quarter-cup of powdered sugar that gets all kneaded in, all in about, oh, 8 minutes from start to wiping down the counter.

icon_smile.gif Just sayin'. The more experienced you are, the faster you are, and the more adept you are at not making a mess.

I disagree. I have OCD and messy for me is having powdered sugar on the counter. I'd rather have no cleaning to do since all I do is clean =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%