First Wedding Cake - A Few Questions...

Decorating By MonicaCK Updated 8 May 2009 , 3:12pm by MonicaCK

MonicaCK Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 7

I have cake in my freezer - necessary because in addition to the baker for this wedding, I am also the florist, and doing all the set up and decorating of the church and reception site.

Anyway - I am wondering how to proceed..

Do I thaw the cake out completely and then go ahead with filling, buttercream and fondant?

Can I do it all today (friday) or should I wait until tomorrow?

If I do it today - do I store the cake in the fridge until the reception tomorrow or can it sit out on my counter for 24 hours?

6 replies
pieceacake830 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

Wow thats alot to take on! First, let your cake thaw out completely. Yes you will be fine decorating it today, and as far as the fridge question, it really depends on what your filling is... and what recipe your using for your buttercream.

MonicaCK Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 7

thanks - my filling is strawberry champagne jam

my buttercream is mostly butter, some crisco, a few tablespoon of heavy cream, vanilla extact and sugar

If I have to refridgerate it due to my buttercream, will the fondant come up to room temp without sweating?

mom2abc Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

I have also been wondering this. I thought I heard that you cannot refrigerate fondant.

bobhope Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 7

fondant will sweat out after coming out from the ref..i've left cakes to sit on the counter overnight w/ bc & fondant covered & they were bc is butter & powdered sugar,& some flavoring...hope this helps monicaCK

tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

Your BC does not need to be refrigerated. It will be fine sitting on the counter for 24 hours.

MonicaCK Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 7

yay!!! Thanks so much for your help - I have really been stressing about putting my fondant in the fridge -timing of this whole thing - I am going to proceed with the cake today and let it sit out overnight on my counter. I appreciate everyone's help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%