New To Cookies - Help!

Baking By msc2006 Updated 8 May 2009 , 5:18pm by bonniebakes

msc2006 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:36am
post #1 of 4

I'm pretty new to decorating cookies so forgive me if my questions seem dumb...lol I would love to know how you frost cookies that look so perfect like the ones you see on this site? What kind of glaze do you use? How do you get the glaze on the cookie and have it look nice and not all drippy? Lastly, I read somewhere on the site someone referred to "flooding" when they were talking about some cookies they had done...what is flooding??

As you can see I'm totally lost but I would really like to learn how to make cute cookies!! Thanks everyone!

Melissa

3 replies
JanH Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 4

Here's a tutorial on how to bake and decorate cookies:

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

HTH

GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 4

My favorite icing is a slight modification to Toba's Glace: 3 cups powdered sugar (sifted), 3 T. milk or water, 3 T. corn syrup, 15 drops brite white food color (I use Americolor). Mix the milk or water and the cornsyrup into the powdered sugar until smooth. Add the brite white and mix completely. (The brite white helps prevent the icing from developing splotches). The high sugar content will keep the icing from spoiling, even if you use milk as your liquid (I use skim milk.) You can easily adjust the consistency of the icing: more powdered sugar for a thicker icing, more cornsyrup for a thinner icing.

I use one consistency of icing to outline and then flood, and it's similar to the thickness of white school glue. I use a # 4 tip for large areas, a #2 tip for smaller areas. I pipe a line of icing around the outline, then immedatley fill in with more icing in a zig zag pattern. I smooth out the icing over the entire area using a tapered off-set spatula. I let the icing set for a bit before adding the next color. For the final outlines and details, I will thicken the icing until it is the consistency of peanut butter. I outline using a #1s tip.

Good luck on your cookies!

bonniebakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%