Sheet Cake Confusion...

Decorating By Lizzard1 Updated 8 May 2009 , 6:07am by Jajam

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:08am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I am making a sheet cake for next weekend and I have a few questions. Keep in mind its been a while since I have made a sheet cake icon_smile.gif What are the dimentions of a full sheet? I have wilton cake pans and I am trying to figure out how many to use. Also, I have not seen a cake board or box to fit the sheet cake into. Any suggestions on where I cake get my paws on a couple?

Thanks for your help!

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 3

If you Google full sheet pan, the sizes are: 24x16x2/3 or 26x18x2/3.

However, that size won't fit in most home ovens so various combinations of smaller sheet cake pans are commonly used instead.

Is this "full" sheet cake for a customer? If so, terms like: full sheet, 1/2 sheet, etc. can be very confusing. (We can't even agree on standard sizing for these terms.) icon_lol.gif

A no-fail method to make sure that you and the customer are on the same page is to ask how many servings are required. (Just be sure to educate the customer as to what your normal serving size is.)

If the customer wishes to serve larger portions, then more servings will need to be ordered.

Following these guidelines will guarantee that the customer has the correct amount of cake.

Whether you make your sheet cakes 2 or 4" high depends on what your customers want.

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer/sheet cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has links to Wilton's cake preparation and servings guides which gives batter requirements by pan sizes as well as serving yields (in both wedding and party size portions). And SO much more!

FYI, 1x2x4 and 1-1/2x2x4 are the same size servings as 2x2x2 and 3x2x2.

HTH

Jajam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jajam Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:07am
post #3 of 3

I recently had to figure how much to buy of a commercial cake to serve for a casual event at church.
A quarter sheet is 9" x 13". A half sheet is 11" x 15". I purchased a whole sheet from a commercial bakery that was made by putting two half sheets side by side, totalling about 15" x 22". But there is also a 12" x 18" size and I think that is also considered a half sheet, thus two making a full sheet 18" x 24".
There is a great Baking, Cutting and Serving Guide in the General Articles on this site. Definately worth checking out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%