Im New,i Really Need You Help With This!

Decorating By elkinchahin Updated 8 May 2009 , 5:22am by kansaswolf

elkinchahin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #1 of 17

Im new in the whole baking thing, I used to bake just for me at home or family and friends, now Im doing it more often and hoping to go to Pastry School and open my own bakery.
I have never worked with fondant or gumpaste, they both kind of look the same to me, whats the effect on them. What is each used for? does gumpaste work better for flowers? Can someone help me please, Im planning in making a High School Musical cake for my niece, but Im debating what to use to make the decor.
I really appreciate it, when Im done with the cake I will post pictures.

16 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 17

Fondant is for eating and gumpaste is not. You can make some really beautiful flowers with gumpaste, but they dry rock hard and can't be eaten. Fondant works for covering cakes and for making decorations.

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 17

Depending on what I am making I will either use Gumpaste or a 50/50 mix of Gumpaste and Fondant. The gumpaste dries faster than fondant. Gumpaste can be rolled very thin for realistic flowers.

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #4 of 17

Oh I thought gumpaste you were able to eat it! So is only for fancy decor but not edible. Ok thanks alot

Im sorry One more question, does fondant dries out hard? or does it stays soft, I want to make a standing stage for the cake, do I need to put some support, maybe dowels on the back and maybe some at from so it can hold it and high them with the curtain?

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 17

Oh I thought gumpaste you were able to eat it! So is only for fancy decor but not edible. Ok thanks alot

Im sorry One more question, does fondant dries out hard? or does it stays soft, I want to make a standing stage for the cake, do I need to put some support, maybe dowels on the back and maybe some at from so it can hold it and high them with the curtain?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:00am
post #6 of 17

Fondant will dry hard if it's not on a cake. As a cake covering, the outside gets a little hard but stays soft enough to cut.

To make your stage, you probably do need dowels. You can cover them with the fondant or fondant/gumpaste mix and let it dry that way, with the ends sticking out to go into the cake. I like to use bamboo skewers because they're tough and cheap and not too thick.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #7 of 17

Gumpaste is TECHNICALLY edible, made from sugar and gelatin, perhaps a few more ingredients. However, it dries VERY hard, and is not very tasty. Though I've seen people eat it.

Fondant stays kind of chewy for the most part. It depends on the kind, though. Good for covering cakes, not quite as good for decorations that need to stand up from the cake. The pieces do dry out, but they don't have quite the stability of gumpaste.

If you are going to make a standing stage, I'd recommend using gumpaste, or even chocolate, rather than fondant, just for the extra structural stability factor. Perhaps even build the bulk of the stage of Rice Krispy Treats, then cover them with fondant. Just some thoughts! Good luck!

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #8 of 17

Thanks alot you have been so help full, I cant wait to start on the cake.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #9 of 17

You CAN eat gumpaste, it is just not very palatable, as many of the gums used aren't all that tasty or even nice-smelling. What's worse too, it the thought of how much handling a piece of gumpaste endures in the creation of a flower or 3D object...ick!

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:05am
post #10 of 17

So I can pretty much play with rice krispy treats like play-doh? I need to make them from scratch or can I but them made?
I have heard of the molding chocolate, where can I get that? and is that what are you talking about kansaswolf?

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:06am
post #11 of 17

I bet, all the work...and I have a 6 month old baby, lets see if she lets me work on it.

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #12 of 17

gumpaste can be rolled much thinner than fondant without cracking to make beautiful realistic flowers, but it dries pretty quickly so keep it covered under a cup while you work on a little bit at a time. use shortening on your fingers when you start and more if it starts to stick, if you use icing sugar to keep it from sticking it will dry it out. tonedna is a wonderful person who has a lot of very helpful videos, if you see any of her posts there is a link in her signature that will take you to them. they are absolutly fabulous!!
fondant is to cover your cakes, you will need to crumbcoat your cakes first so it will stick. the marshmallow fondant recipe ( MMF) on here is awesome and uses readily available ingredients and should be a good one for you to start with.
for the decorations for your cake, you can use straight gumpaste or a 50/50 mix with your fondant to make sure they dry hard and hold there shape. if you use mmf for them they will not dry hard, on my last cake i made that mistake and they never did dry fully but it was ok because they were not super delicate.
there is so much to learn, and this website is a great place to start! ive learnt so much already. if you have any more questions feel free to pm me, i will answer anything i can icon_biggrin.gif

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #13 of 17

thanks alot for all your tips. I know this website is so addicting, I just love it.

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:15am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkinchahin

So I can pretty much play with rice krispy treats like play-doh? I need to make them from scratch or can I but them made?
I have heard of the molding chocolate, where can I get that? and is that what are you talking about kansaswolf?

Rice krispies are not QUITE like playdoh, at least in my experience. You can buy them already made, many people do, but I prefer to make my own. I like to mold them while they're still warm so I can get the exact shape I want. I find they fall apart more when they've set up before I start molding. Many people have great luck with pre-made RKTs, though, so maybe it's just me! icon_wink.gif

You could pour melted chocolate into a mold of some kind to make walls and/or stage sides and then set them up, gluing them together with a bit more melted chocolate... Decently easy, but it'll get fragile if it's too warm in your house!

Molding chocolate can be easily made by melting chocolate (or white chocolate, or those colored candy melts) and adding some corn syrup. Melt about 7 oz of white chocolate or candy melts, and add a couple tablespoons of corn syrup. Or 7 oz dark chocolate and 3 TBS corn syrup. This might be used for, say, a curtain, since you could cut and shape it somewhat easily. (i.e. roll it out flat on waxed paper, then place waxed paper on top of some pencils spaced a little apart, creating a wave, like a curtain.) Just let it cool off and harden, then you can set it up on your stage!

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #15 of 17

Hee hee hee, I know how it is with babies, mine just turned 9 months yesterday!

elkinchahin Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:19am
post #16 of 17

thanks alot kansaswolf, I will post pictures of my cake to see how it turns out, I hope its not a disaster.
icon_cry.gif

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:22am
post #17 of 17

I figure, as long as it's TASTY, all is not lost... icon_biggrin.gif

We've ALL had our disasters, we just don't always post pictures of them... icon_wink.gif Hope your cake turns out GREAT! Good luck, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%