Should I Add Some Black To This Cake?

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 8 May 2009 , 5:11am by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #1 of 7

The cake is supposed to look like this pendant:

Here's the cake:⊂=1363079

I made it this morning and after I put the silver on, I liked it enough that I stopped there...but now, I'm wondering if I should put some black on it to make it more like the necklace, or if I should quit while I'm ahead.

6 replies
kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #2 of 7

The relative size of the embellishments on the pendant are larger than the embellishments on your cake, so as much black as it would take to fill in the appropriate spots might make it a little too dark. If you wanted to add a little more shading to it, that might look alright, but it might also make it look crappy... If I were you, I'd leave it as is. It has (at least in the picture!) some awesome shading and color variations like the necklace! I say go with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:56am
post #3 of 7

Hmmm...I think it looks great, and if I was going to add some black into the recessed areas, I would do it using chalks or powdered colours, adding it in gradually.

Just realised though, that only works if you used fondant icon_smile.gif

I think you achieved depth and shading nicely already - what a unique cake design idea!

CakesDownTheFamilyLine Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

i think it looks great!!! No need for the black unless you think its really necessary!!! I love the way you did your coloring icon_lol.gif Very realistic!!!

lostincake Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:58am
post #5 of 7

Personally, I like the way it looks as is. You could put the black to make it look more like the pendant but I don't think it will necessarily look better. It may actually be difficult to get that affect after the fact. Not sure what method you were planning to use for the black - airbrush? fondant overlay? brush painting with food colour?

Anyway, I think it's awesome as is but if the client will be fussy then maybe try it.

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:07am
post #6 of 7

I like it the way it is. But if you do add some shading to it don't use black. I would use a charcoal color and dry brush it on so it isn't too dark. But I love it the way it looks GREAT!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #7 of 7

I was going to paint black gel color mixed with silver dust and vodka on with a paintbrush. I wish I had an airbrush icon_biggrin.gif

I think y'all are right, I should leave it the way it is. They're not picking up until late tomorrow night and it's just tempting to add to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%