Prescription Painkillers & Alcohol

Lounge By itsmylife Updated 11 May 2009 , 6:41pm by jsmith

itsmylife Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 10

Today, I decided to catch up on emails...so I went to send an email to a girl I met during a Bon Jovi concert. At this particular concert, there was a bomb threat called into the venue and during the 6 hours we were stuck outside, her and I hit it off and had a great time.

I hadn't heard from her in a while, so I went onto her myspace page and I found a message posting from her mom saying she passed away. She was only 32.

Came to find out that she had broken her ankle a few weeks back, and less than a week later she died from an accidental prescription drug overdose (painkillers)/alcohol combination. She wasn't suicidal....she wasn't an alcoholic....and she wasn't addicted to the pain meds. She was a beautiful girl who made a terrible mistake. Just really, really sad that it was preventable.

icon_cry.gif

9 replies
ladyellam Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #2 of 10

I'm really sorry for her family and you as well. People don't think having a little drink with some medicine will hurt you, but like you just found out it can.

I really am very sorry.

-Tubbs Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 10

That's so sad... I'm sorry icon_sad.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 10

I am so sorry to hear about this.

(((sigh))) I used to take both together for fun. Built up an immunity that would otherwise kill a brontosaurus. Many years stuck in that pitiful existence. icon_sad.gif Glad to say I made it out alive. Sad to hear that someone lost their life to it.

Deb_ Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 10

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that, such a sad story.

Jamie...........I'm so glad you "made it out alive" too, you're one of my fav's here kiddo!!! icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 May 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 10

Oh yeah, very dark days behind me, for sure. Glad someone is glad I'm around...ha!!!!

jsmith Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #7 of 10

I am so sorry. Those are some dangerous pills. I think if people knew just how dangerous they were then they'd be scared to take them even if they needed them legitimately. I pray her family will find peace and comfort, and you as well. Jaime, I'm so glad you overcame that. Very few people do.

__Jamie__ Posted 9 May 2009 , 4:54am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

Jaime, I'm so glad you overcame that. Very few people do.

That is unfortunately so true. icon_sad.gif

emrldsky Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith

I am so sorry. Those are some dangerous pills. I think if people knew just how dangerous they were then they'd be scared to take them even if they needed them legitimately. I pray her family will find peace and comfort, and you as well. Jaime, I'm so glad you overcame that. Very few people do.

I was prescribed Lortab after I had my wisdom teeth removed on April 30. I was SCARED to take them, until my husband reminded me that since I was aware of how dangerous they were, that I was scared, if I took them as prescribed, I should be fine.

I took them, but I didn't like it. icon_sad.gif I didn't like how I felt, and I didn't like knowing that if I didn't take them, I would be in a lot of pain.

I'm just taking ibuprofen at this point, and not that much anymore. The pain is *almost* completely gone.

Shoulda had the surgery when I was a teenager. :/

jsmith Posted 11 May 2009 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 10

I wish everyone was as aware as you Jade. A few years ago when my husband had surgery, everyone kept asking him if they could have his extra pain pills. It makes me shudder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%