Gold Medal White 5 Pound Box Cake Mix

Decorating By nikki72905 Updated 5 Aug 2013 , 11:11pm by semira14

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 10

Hi!
My mom, got me GOLD MEDAL 5 Pound box cake mix at a specialty store in New York (she got me WHite and Devils food) I haven't used them yet, I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this brand before and if they did the same substitutions as the regular box mixes call for...

This box mix says "just add water" nothing else needed. I am a little skeptical, but will be trying it this weekend on family... " the poor guinie pigs >LOL!

If no one has heard of this - I'll post with my findings!

9 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 10

Never heard of it. Please share.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't heard of that one bu I do know that CK is coming out with cake mixes. I tried one at our DOS and it wasn't bad.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki72905

Hi!
My mom, got me GOLD MEDAL 5 Pound box cake mix at a specialty store in New York (she got me WHite and Devils food) I haven't used them yet, I was just wondering if anyone has ever used this brand before and if they did the same substitutions as the regular box mixes call for...

This box mix says "just add water" nothing else needed. I am a little skeptical, but will be trying it this weekend on family... " the poor guinie pigs >LOL!

If no one has heard of this - I'll post with my findings!

I have used it many times.. I am not sure what you mean by "same substitutions", but there should be an option of using eggs on the box; That is the method I used. It is a good product, and I used the white for wedding cakes for many years (years ago). hth

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 10

I read something about that recently on here. Maybe you can PM leahs. I think she knew something about it...could be wrong but I think it was her. You can also do a search on it.

nikki72905 Posted 8 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 10

I just baked the first cake with it, it baked up very nicely!! The only problem, was a problem I created, (I must not have had enough cake release on a small portion of the pan, because the cake got a "little" stuck and pulled away from the cake ( I am pretty sure I can fix it though)

I used these Substitutions and will share after sunday how it tastes:

4.5 cups of mix
2 cups of milk
3 eggs
1 stick of butter (no salt)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
3 heaping tablespoons of sour cream
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp lemon juice (the combination of the baking powder and lemon juice make the cake melt in your mouth)

mix and bake... I bake until the cake springs back in the middle (not by specific times)
The cake mix is WHITE GOLD MEDAL and smells soo good!

nikki72905 Posted 11 May 2009 , 9:24am
post #7 of 10

This cake was very tastey! Everyone loved it and I had 1 piece left over for my husband to try!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:06am
post #8 of 10

How large a cake did this make ?

nikki72905 Posted 12 May 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 10

I used 4.5 cups of mix and it made a very fluffy 8 inch round Picture of a similar cake in my pictures (the one that says Happy Birthday MiMi)

semira14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
semira14 Posted 5 Aug 2013 , 11:11pm
post #10 of 10

I buy the mix from amazon and bake wedding cake with it and  i love it !! but next time am going try yours substitute recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%