Really Heavy Cake Topper

Decorating By sarahcupcake Updated 10 May 2009 , 3:21am by sarahcupcake

sarahcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcupcake Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 6

I am making a very simple, very small wedding cake in July. The cake will be two tier and serve 50 people. The problem is the bride has chosen a lead crystal cake topper! This thing is HEAVY! The cake has to be transported to the wedding site an hour and a half away by the mother of the bride and I am seriously worried. How on earth am I going to be able to support the weight of that topper on a small cake? Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

5 replies
idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:04am
post #2 of 6

Dowl for it, and tell them that if they want it they will have to place it on at the location. If they're not comfortable w/ that, then tell them they need something else as a topper.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 6

You could cut a piece of foam board the right size for the topper, put a couple of dowels under it, stick it on the cake and decorate around it. Then they can put the topper on the board when they get there.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #4 of 6

Yep, just what the PP said. Just remember that YOU are the expert and if you don't think it will be ok on there, just tell them that they may have to place it on the table beside of the cake or something like this:
LL

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 6

I would definitely would tell them not to place it on top until it was there and closer to the time of the reveal.

My "cake" policy is...

Once it (cake) leaves me, my home or is delivered, I am no longer responsible for what happens to it. They all know that and agree to it!

This way if they do something stupid to mess it up, they can't come crying to me. They must be careful!

You might want something like that in place-it helps.

sarahcupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahcupcake Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! Your ideas have been really helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%