Perishable Filling+No Ac At Venue. What To Do?

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:42pm by cakenewbiekgm

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #1 of 7

I'm gifting a cake for my brother's wedding next Sunday. The two top tiers have filling that needs to be refrigerated. How long might be safe for the cake to be out? I'm thinking I will dash out after the family picture and simply place the already decorated tiers on top. I don't really want to be rushed like that, but since it's entirely likely that it will be 75 degrees on the day in question, I don't want to leave it OUT either.

Anyone ever had to deal with this kind of thing before? Is there a better way? I'm not excited about assembling while people are wandering in to the reception site... But that seems to be the best option for now! Anyone got any great ideas?

6 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 7

I think you might only have about an hour, possibly less. Is there anyway to swap a filling that doesn't need refrigeration?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #3 of 7

What fillings are you using? I would think you'd be ok at 75 degrees for an hour or two as long as it wasn't sitting in the sun. I'm certainly no expert though.

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #4 of 7

I just found out TODAY that there will be no AC, so that was a bit of a surprise. I mean, who doesn't have AC in a large reception hall at a large church?!?!? Anyway...

I see I neglected to mention that there IS a refrigerator there that I can use, hence the idea of me assembling as people are filing in and the wedding party is finishing pictures.

It will be in an entirely enclosed building, and the bride mentioned something about fans. Yeah, let's point those things at a cake and blow nasty dust all over it. Yuck. I'm doing a cheesecake filling and a cherry/chocolate chip/ricotta filling. Perhaps I could freeze them and hope for the best? I don't know, but I sure as heck don't want ANYONE getting sick.

So an hour would probably be a safe bet, longer perhaps, but not gonna count on it. Maybe I'll show up, pop the cakes in the freezer so they're just REALLY COLD, but not frozen, and set them up after the wedding... Does this sound doable?

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:48am
post #5 of 7

i live in canada, but am assuming food safety standards are pretty similar, and your o.k. for 2 hours at room temp before there is cause for concern. so if you freeze the cakes the night before you will have awhile where it will be still frozen and then still fairly cool before it gets to the dangerous room temp and then 2 hours after that. hope that makes sense.

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #6 of 7

Thanks jenlane! I think I should be able to breathe easier after getting this cake done!

cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 7

Good Luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%