Stained Hands And Leaking Cake Colors

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 15 May 2009 , 8:34pm by auntbeesbaking

auntbeesbaking Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 19

I wondered if anyone has found a successful way to remove stained cake coloring from fingers and hands? I've tried washing them numerous times, to no avail. I've also used toothpaste and that works some. I just hate going out looking like I've been been finger painting! I don't know why I'm so messy.

By the same token, does anyone else have problems with cake color jars leaking? I wash them, tighten the caps and dang, if the next time I get them out, there's leakage! I do use a paper towel underneath the jars in the container I store them in. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! icon_mad.gif

Thank you for any help you can give.

18 replies
kjgjam22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #2 of 19

those jars sound like wilton jars...i have the same problem. as for the stains...i put a bit of bleach in my soap water. i also find if you wash your hands just after it comes off.

mrscromer Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #3 of 19

I've tried rubbing a little shortening on my hands and the dye comes off pretty easily. Maybe this will help you.

2girliesmama Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 19

I have the same problem with the Wilton jars!!! Wow! I thought it was just me. You could wear food safe gloves. I do not because I have smaller hands and they tend to get in the way, but maybe they would work for you.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:55am
post #5 of 19

I use LA's Totally Awesome (clear bottle with red letters and yellow liquid) from the Dollar Tree to get the color off my hands. It's not really designed for hands but it doesn't seem to damage them. It also gets marker and popsicle out of the carpet and ink out of hubby's shirts.

My Wilton jars leak too. I keep them all in a plastic shoebox with a piece of no-slip drawer liner in there, so that they don't tip over, and so that if they do, the mess is confined to the plastic box.

Justbeck101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:01am
post #6 of 19

The only way that I have found to keep the wilton jars nice and clean is to make sure you always keep them upright and make sure they are clean around the edges & the lid. I threw out all my old ones a long time ago and bought all new, they have never leaked again.

m1m Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 19

My Wilton jars seem to "bubble over" and leak too, even when the cap is on tight. I started using Americolor and I like it much better.

Justbeck101 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:55am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

My Wilton jars seem to "bubble over" and leak too, even when the cap is on tight. I started using Americolor and I like it much better.

I use both, sometimes I feel like the americolor is harder for me to color my fondant with. It is too soft to begin with so when I add the americolor it seems waaaaay too soft

patticakesnc Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #9 of 19

If I don't walk around with multi color hands a couple days a week my family thinks there is something wrong with me. icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 8 May 2009 , 11:55am
post #10 of 19

Thank you, CC friends for your help!

Does anyone have problems with CK's jars leaking also? That's what I mostly buy at our cake supply store.

I'm going to try a few of your suggestions.

Have a GREAT weekend everyone! icon_smile.gif

Anntee Posted 8 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif Believe it or not the denture tablets you dissolve in warm water will remove the color dye!. HTH icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 19

Try the Mr. Clean magic eraser. That has worked well for me.

pinkcamo Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:24am
post #13 of 19

Ajax powder works too! I found this out after scrubbing my bathtub, after I'd done a messy cake and got stained hands.

j-pal Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 19

I put crisco on my hands BEFORE I color anything. Make sure and rub it in good around your fingernails and cuticles and the color comes right off every time! If I forget or don't get good coverage with the crisco, then ajax or comet works well, as does a good hair washing!

TexasSugar Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #15 of 19

If you are coloring fondant, definitely put crisco on your hands. It coats the skin and keeps the color for absorbing. If you are doing buttercream, I'd say use some plastic gloves.

If you do get it on your hands, wash dishes. icon_smile.gif I had my hands covered in pink (and it was there for over an hour, since I was in class when it happened) and I came home and washed dishes and was totally surprised I didn't have to keep walking around with rose pink hands. I also want to say I have heard that dial soap helps get it out faster too.

smoore Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 19

I can't use harsh cleansers on my hands -- my skin just can't handle it. I LOVE this stuff - BeautiControl's Herbal Serenity Instant Hand Manicure. (http://shop.beauticontrol.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10551&productId=40774&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=32766&top_category=) It's great to get color out and is a must after I do gardening. And, it also makes my hands so soft too! icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:58pm
post #17 of 19

I agree...use crisco on your hands. Also, those denture cleaning tablets are miracles! They not only take off the color, they will clean your toilet with no scrubbing and clean lacy curtains without damaging them.

mgwebb68 Posted 15 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #18 of 19

Dawn Dishwashing liquid is my go-to solution for everything. It works great for me and gets out the stains, I just try to make sure that I wash my hands as soon as I can and I don't have any problems. It also works great to get out set in laundry stains. I've tried gloves but they get in the way. I can't use clorox because I can't breath around it. Based on the Ajax and Comet posts, I would say you could probably try SoftScrub too, it's creamy and may be easier to use.

auntbeesbaking Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you for still sending in tips! Since I have eczema my hands can't handle a lot of soaps and cleaners.

I did try Crisco when I was kneading fondant but needed something after I color frosting. I just wish I could do it "cleaner" like so many people I know! I don't understand how it happens - even when I use a paper towel to take off the jar lids! Maybe it's just in the same category as the missing sock - you put a pair in the laundry and only one comes back! icon_wink.gif

Have a great weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%