Transfering A Fondant Cake To Cake Board..

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:11am by sweet_teeth

sweet_teeth Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 4

I keep attempting different techniques and I still don't think i've gotten this skill down.

What is the best way to transfer a cake, after the fondant has been put on, onto the cake board?

Also.. should my cake board underneath my cake be a little smaller or the exact size of my cake?

As always CC family, thanks for the help!

3 replies
i_heart_pastry Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 4

I make the cake board slightly smaller than the cake. Others might do it differently, but that is what works best for me.

When transferring onto the display board, I use a sturdy spatula to slightly lift the cake so that I can get my fingers under it. Then I lift the cake by holding the underside of the board and place it onto the display board, one side down first, then quickly remove my hands and "drop" the other side of the cake in place (not sure if you can really call it dropping, but I can't think of a better way to describe it). I mark the place first so I don't have to shift it around afterward. Does that make sense?

kandu001 Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 4

I do it either way...smaller or the same size. Definitely never sticking out even a little on the bottom though. I always trim. I also use a flat thin spatula to move the cake.

sweet_teeth Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #4 of 4

My issue is once I'm ready to transfer the cake, my buttercream underneath has gotten soft and or I feel like I indent the fondant because I usually cut it to be even w/ whatever the cake is sitting on. Ugh it's always a miserable process for me, lol!

Thank you for the responses. I think I'm going to start doing a cake board smaller than the cake.. I used to do that and I had a lot less bulging issues where the fondant meets the bottom of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%