Friend Found A New Job And Now I'm Panicking!

Lounge By Lil_Belle Updated 9 May 2009 , 7:34pm by snowboarder

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 7

Ok so for a while now, about 4 years, a good friend and I have worked together. Our jobs are fairly easy and fairly secure (union and all) I also get health benefits as well as about 40 hours a week so on a good week I can make about $400.00. Now I know that's not that great but hey, it's my first job icon_smile.gif Now this friend just called me to say she applied to a different job (where some of her family works) and she got it. She said pay is similar as well as benefits. At our current job there are some cliques and a little drama but that will be there no matter where you are (or maybe I'm just hoping all places are like this). So right now my job isn't that difficult and I don't really 'hate' it.

So after getting her call I'm in a panic! Freaking out that now I need a new job, for really no reason! Now is not the best time I understand and while I know my pay isn't that great it does pay my bills and help out around the house. Without going back to school and getting more of an education I can't really see a different route! And please don't ask what I want to be 'when I grow up' I have no idea! icon_cry.gif I'd hate to spend 4 years and thousands of dollars only to end up hating where I work later on.

So I guess I'm really just wanting thoughts or stories, something to let me know that this will be ok (and really there's nothing to say it won't be) gah, I'm not sure what to do!!! *faints*

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 7

It's hard when someone you really like working with moves on to a different job. There's no reason for you to change jobs unless you're unhappy at yours, which you said you're not. Your friend probably decided to go work where her relatives do because they wouldn't quit asking her...every time she mentioned something about work they probably said, "Oh, you should come over here, that wouldn't happen here."

You'll be able to keep your friend up to date on all the little dramas that happen after she's left for the new job, and she'll enjoy hearing about her old coworkers from you.

Lil_Belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_Belle Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

thank you for the quick reply icon_smile.gif I think my main panic came from friends leaving where we work now and me being alone; which won't happen anytime soon. any other thoughts? even those telling me I'm being silly would be a help icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 7

Ok.... "you're being silly!" icon_biggrin.gif

I'm assuming you're WAY younger than me, and you say this is your first job. I'm not saying this to reprimand but just to give you an example: this isn't the school playground where all the cool kids hang out together and when one of you decides they don't want to swing anymore, then you ALL move to the teeter-totters. Lots of people and friends will come and go thru your live and many of them you'll connect with thru your job(s).

Be happy they have crossed paths with you on this short journey of life; celebrate their successes when they move on to better things; rejoice with them when you do the same types of things.

Some of your co-workers have left. That means new ones will come on board, you'll get to know them, you'll expand your circle of friends, and you'll miss them just as much when you or they continue on your journey of life.

Love,

Your CC "Banna"
(what my grandkids call me 'coz they can't say gramma!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #5 of 7

Everything indy said thumbs_up.gif Couldn't have said it any better.......in fact, I think I gave that same speech to my kids once or twice icon_biggrin.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 9 May 2009 , 11:28am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Belle

And please don't ask what I want to be 'when I grow up' I have no idea!

Oh my, I'm 36 (or 37?... wait, what year is it?...), I have 3 university degrees, I'm currently a SAHM of 3, and I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

You have a decent job, you have benefits. So just keep at it. One thing I have learned is that pretty much any job that you think, "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT to have that job" ends up also having a bunch of stuff that you don't see looking in from the outside but that is hard or unpleasant or just plain old WORK. If you are worried about finding your life path, then go out and do other stuff -- hobbies, volunteering, travel if you can manage it. Something might really click with you. And if you never end up finding the job of your dreams, that is okay too. My younger brother has had an assortment of jobs, some related to his degree but many others not. He lives frugally, but he is involved in a group that travels every couple of years, so he has been all around the world. So no, he doesn't have a fantastic job right now, but on the other hand he has been to brazil, portugal, england, eastern europe, france ... lots of places. It works for him.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Lots of people and friends will come and go thru your live and many of them you'll connect with thru your job(s).

Be happy they have crossed paths with you on this short journey of life; celebrate their successes when they move on to better things; rejoice with them when you do the same types of things.

This is some of the best life advice you will ever get. I hope you're listening! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%