What Went Wrong? Please Help!!!!

Decorating By FabulousCreationsByIsury Updated 9 May 2009 , 1:29am by sweet_teeth

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #31 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsunknown

SORRY ITS LONG!!!

ok i tried this the other day with the 2tbs measurements and it worked fine, in fact i actually made 2 batches, just the normal and a choc flavour one with exactly 1.590kg in each mix (i'm an aussie) of icing mixture (corn flour added) and had no probs, i have used some already and stored some in the cupboard the stuff stored in the cupboard has gone pretty hard, but am hoping with a bit of a zap in the microwave and a kneed it should come back to life.

i am thinking you had this problem cause you used milk instead of cream with the 2 tbs measurement..... i have found 3 recipes for this fondant all very similar, 1 with 1/2 cup milk and the 3tbs of the others, the 2nd with 1/2 cup cream and 3tbs of the rest and the last is 1/2 cream and 2 tbs of the rest. i used the 3rd method thinking it would be the most up to date? going by the date it was submitted?

Also here in Australia i can't seem to get my hands on corn syrup so i use a sugar syrup (1 1/4 cup sugar to 1/3 cup water boiled tilll syruppy) that could be why i had success???

The idea about the temp by BabeyCakey could possibly be a factor, but i didn't really take much notice to the temp, might be why mine is hard atm lol we can only learn icon_biggrin.gif

With you question about saving it...................ummmm, it is probably possible but i would suggest just throw it out and try again, with the time it will take you to now get the right consistency you could have made another batch, i know its wasted ingredients, but it could be a total waste of time to try and get it right. i spent about 4 -5 hrs trying to get a batch of fondant (the jello fondant recipe) to come together before i finally threw it in the bin.

You can get Karo corn syrup occasionally at your larger Coles (moreso in affluent areas), or via mail order through USA Foods in Melbourne.

Good luck,
Eve
(also an Aussie!)

FabulousCreationsByIsury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #32 of 41

Hello ladies, thank you for all the feedback. thumbs_up.gif I did not make the second batch yesterday, but will do it today and I will post the pictures. Thank you.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:02pm
post #33 of 41

Here it is ladies, my new batch of MF Fondant.... I'm loving it..... I have one question? When I was kneading the fondant it was teary and at the end when I finish kneading it; it was still teary and I made it into a ball and the outside was smooth... So here goes my question? When I'm ready to use it will it still be teary? Or what do I need to do, so the whole thing when i rolled it out turns smooth? Thank you for the help... Here are the pics...
LL
LL
LL

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #34 of 41

I'm glad you had success! Did you use the 3tb measurements? I'm going to try it next week icon_smile.gif

Michele said it will be teary when you first make it and that you have to wait at least 8 hours before using it for everything to 'meld' together.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:43pm
post #35 of 41

When I first tried MFF, I used the original recipe with the 3 tbsp measurements and I thought it was a little too stretchy. Then I discovered the revised recipe with the 2 tbsp measurements, made it, and it turned out terrific. I'm not sure which one is correct, but for now I'm sticking with the revised recipe - less ingredients, and it works great for me....I found that MFF works better as oppsed to Marshmallow fondant when trying to make deep colors as well...it seems to hold up better to the large amount of gel paste.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I'm glad you had success! Did you use the 3tb measurements? I'm going to try it next week icon_smile.gif

Michele said it will be teary when you first make it and that you have to wait at least 8 hours before using it for everything to 'meld' together.

Alexandra, yes I used the 3tb measurements. And also, what really help is that I didn't throw all the powder sugar all at once. I did put the 2lbs in the kitchenaid bowl as it said in the recipe and mixed everything together with the liquid. After that I put it in the mixer with the doug hook and started to put 1/2cup of ps in the bowl. And something that really help was that while it was mixing I scrapped the sides.

I hope you make it because you will love it. I will let it rest until tomorrow and will start on my white chocolate one and will post pics.Thanks

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #37 of 41

this is from April 4, 2009 ... ~Martha

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625616-michele.html+foster+mff+recipe

Some mistakes were made when I typed the updated version of the fondant recipe. When I make fondant, I usually make a batch and a half, so I got my ingredient totals mixed up. It has now been corrected.

The correct amount of gelatin is 2 Tbsp., 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. glycerin.

I am very sorry for the confusion. Most of the time when I make it I'm just throwing things together and when I have to write them out, I get a little confused. Crying or Very sad

I will try to get all of the information updated so please bear with me. I really am trying to be helpful. I will try to fix any other mistakes I have made. So far I seem to have only made a bigger mess.

The name is Michele Foster Fondant, MFF. It is under Fondant/Gumpaste and Frostings.

Thanks for your understanding.

Michele

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625616-michele.html+foster+mff+recipe

Some mistakes were made when I typed the updated version of the fondant recipe. When I make fondant, I usually make a batch and a half, so I got my ingredient totals mixed up. It has now been corrected.

I am very sorry for the confusion. Most of the time when I make it I'm just throwing things together and when I have to write them out, I get a little confused. Crying or Very sad

I will try to get all of the information updated so please bear with me. I really am trying to be helpful. I will try to fix any other mistakes I have made. So far I seem to have only made a bigger mess.

The name is Michele Foster Fondant, MFF. It is under Fondant/Gumpaste and Frostings.

Michele

I think is different for everyone. Yesterday when the disaster happen I used the 2tb measurements and today I used the 3tb measurements. I think either one would work because the one I made today was magnificent. I think the one I made yesterday would have been great if I had done what i did today.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #39 of 41

ROFL so that's what happened to me. Hahahahahaha icon_lol.gif
My bright idea was to make a double batch so I won't have to make more next week. icon_confused.gif And I am making this by hand all the way no mixer. icon_cry.gif I do get a good feel for how it is working and it's workability like kneeding dough.

Anyhow- I kept adding in more and More and Still MORE PS to get the right consistancy. AHHHHH! So I wound up with like a quadruple batch...? But it is good fondant Just needs more white choc now. That is good stuff Michele! I will most likely be making your Fondant from here on out. I would like to know what the real recipe is supposed to be... icon_biggrin.gif

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 8 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #40 of 41

Michelle said that the correct one is the one with the 2TB, but I did the 3TB and everything was great.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 9 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Michele

I know that's what she posted so that is why me and the OP tried it with the 2tb measurements and didn't have any luck with it. If you look at all her old recipes, it is 3tbl.. so i'm thinking she just confused herself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%