What Went Wrong? Please Help!!!!

Decorating By FabulousCreationsByIsury Updated 9 May 2009 , 1:29am by sweet_teeth

FabulousCreationsByIsury Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 41

I just did a batch of Michelle Foster's Fondant which by the way taste divine. and look at what happen. Is all crumbled and I can't get it together. What Went WRONG? I already added the remaining bottle of Glycerin and is still this way. Can anyone help. I'm kneading, but nothing happens.
LL

40 replies
FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 41

anyone PLEASE HELP.....

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 41

I think you used too much sugar

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 41

I thought so too. So, does that means it cannot come back to life(lol).

katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 41

Oh, I'm so sorry I can't be of too much help. I don't use that recipe, so I really can't tell you. But, I once tried to make maroon MMF (which everyone warns not to do!), and because I added so much color, it ended up looking a little like yours. I zapped it in the microwave in very short intervals (maybe 10-15 seconds) until it got plyable enough for me to work it back together. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.
Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 41

Whats the ingredients for this recipe? Is there any liquid except glycerine? If it will be MMF I would add water...little by little... but I do not know whats in your recipe....

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 41

Thanks to all of you for your help. The ingredients are:
1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2Tbsp. butter
2Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
dash salt
Approximately 3 1/2 lbs. powdered sugar

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 41

ok I dont know if this will work. Separate a lil bit of your fondant (about the size of fist) and try add a lil bit of the cream and try to knead it in. If it will come together u have won and u can do it with the rest of your batter. If not then I dont know, maybe the corn syrup? Whew... I cross my fingers for you.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 41

I used milk. But will give it a try to see. Thank you so much for your help.....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 41

That is exactly what happened to me when I made it. And I only used half of the sugar that it called for. I wish I could be more help. I'm going to try it again one day because it tasted delicious!

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 41

I didn't even used all the sugar that it call for. Will try to put more of the syrup that it call for... Thanks for your help....

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 41

I think I know the problem as I had the same thing happen to me when I used her recipe. I think the new measurements are wrong!

On all of her old recipes, it calls for 3tb glycerin and 3tlb butter and 3tlb gelatin. When she reposted the 'updated recipe' it originally had these measurements as well. But then she logged on one day and said she got confused and put the wrong measurements up as she usually makes it in larger batches and did the math wrong. I think that the 'updated one' was actually correct though.. as that is how people have been making it all along. The updated recipe was supposed to change the method of making it (meaning you could microwave it opposed to using a double boiler).. not actually change the ingredients.

Maybe it should be tried again w/ 3tbl measurements opposed to the 2tlbspoons. I only tried it that one time last week and it was an utter disaster. I will hopefully be trying it next week with the old measurements.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 41

Thank you so much alexandra. I will try the updated recipe. I guess I will have to throw this batch away. Is there no way to save it? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

I think I know the problem as I had the same thing happen to me when I used her recipe. I think the new measurements are wrong!

On all of her old recipes, it calls for 3tb glycerin and 3tlb butter and 3tlb gelatin. When she reposted the 'updated recipe' it originally had these measurements as well. But then she logged on one day and said she got confused and put the wrong measurements up as she usually makes it in larger batches and did the math wrong. I think that the 'updated one' was actually correct though.. as that is how people have been making it all along. The updated recipe was supposed to change the method of making it (meaning you could microwave it opposed to using a double boiler).. not actually change the ingredients.

Maybe it should be tried again w/ 3tbl measurements opposed to the 2tlbspoons. I only tried it that one time last week and it was an utter disaster. I will hopefully be trying it next week with the old measurements.

It's definitely 3 Tbsp of each...that may be the problem right there. Also, it's very important to cool the mixture to luke warm (I believe it's 95-110 degrees)...that will make a lot of difference in how much sugar will actually absorb. Hope that helps!

sweet_teeth Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #15 of 41

That's what I thought. See if you look at the dates.. the most recent one posted is the WRONG one... and she posted in the forums that it is the new 'correct' one. It should be deleted. Here is the wrong one that the OP went by..and I went by last week..
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7446-1-Michele-Fosters-Fondant.html

and here is the CORRECT one..
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-2-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

and here is hwere she talks about it being corrected.. even though the 'corrections' are wrong.. Crazy, lol.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-625616.html

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 41

Also, I think using milk instead of cream may have affected it somewhat too. Cream has a different fat content than milk and although you can sub one for the other in small amounts, a half cup is significant enough that you would have to account for the lost fat if you used milk instead.

It would take too much math to figure out how to "correct" that batch. Maybe start over and hopefully you'll have better luck icon_smile.gif

Chin up & good luck!

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 41

When she says cream in the recipe. What kind of cream do she means?

mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:56pm
post #18 of 41

SORRY ITS LONG!!!

ok i tried this the other day with the 2tbs measurements and it worked fine, in fact i actually made 2 batches, just the normal and a choc flavour one with exactly 1.590kg in each mix (i'm an aussie) of icing mixture (corn flour added) and had no probs, i have used some already and stored some in the cupboard the stuff stored in the cupboard has gone pretty hard, but am hoping with a bit of a zap in the microwave and a kneed it should come back to life.

i am thinking you had this problem cause you used milk instead of cream with the 2 tbs measurement..... i have found 3 recipes for this fondant all very similar, 1 with 1/2 cup milk and the 3tbs of the others, the 2nd with 1/2 cup cream and 3tbs of the rest and the last is 1/2 cream and 2 tbs of the rest. i used the 3rd method thinking it would be the most up to date? going by the date it was submitted?

Also here in Australia i can't seem to get my hands on corn syrup so i use a sugar syrup (1 1/4 cup sugar to 1/3 cup water boiled tilll syruppy) that could be why i had success???

The idea about the temp by BabeyCakey could possibly be a factor, but i didn't really take much notice to the temp, might be why mine is hard atm lol we can only learn icon_biggrin.gif

With you question about saving it...................ummmm, it is probably possible but i would suggest just throw it out and try again, with the time it will take you to now get the right consistency you could have made another batch, i know its wasted ingredients, but it could be a total waste of time to try and get it right. i spent about 4 -5 hrs trying to get a batch of fondant (the jello fondant recipe) to come together before i finally threw it in the bin.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:00pm
post #19 of 41

Thank you mrsunknown, what kind of cream did you used?

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #20 of 41

Have you pm'd her directly? And yes, be sure you have the revised recipe....2TBSP of a couple of things instead of 3TBSP

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #21 of 41

Sweetjan thanks. No, I haven't PM her, I didn't think of that.... I follow the recipe to the bone(hahaha!to the bone)... But, yes I did exactly what the recipe said, I think it was to much powder sugar. By the way, do you know what type of cream we need to use? I read in another post that you could also used milk.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #22 of 41

I also have to ask, why is it brown? Did you add chocolate or cocoa or some other ingredient? I make this fondant all the time and love it ... I'm wondering if any extra ingredients might have done this? I usually fix the "extra sugar" problem with a little more crisco on the mat where I'm rolling it out, but I've never had it fall apart quite like this ... I've also used milk instead of cream with great results, though.

Good luck!

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:25pm
post #23 of 41

emiyeric yes I used cocoa and semi-swet chocolate, as she said we could use it to make it brown.

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #24 of 41

but I've never had it fall apart quite like this ... [/quote]

It looks worse in person, but taste heavenly.....

jenlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlane Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #25 of 41

i dont think the milk instead of cream is the problem because i used milk when i made it but i did use the 3tbsp recipe not the 2tbsp.
sorry i dont have any tips on how to fix it!

FabulousCreationsByIsury Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:36pm
post #26 of 41

Thank you guys for helping me and for all the tips. I'm about to throw it away and make a new batch using the updated version and less ps. Thank you for taking the time to come for my rescue; that's why I love cakecentral ladies and gentlemens. Thank you again.

mrsunknown Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:13am
post #27 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousCreationsByIsury

Thank you guys for helping me and for all the tips. I'm about to throw it away and make a new batch using the updated version and less ps. Thank you for taking the time to come for my rescue; that's why I love cakecentral ladies and gentlemens. Thank you again.

Good luck with it!!! don't give up........ it is definatley better to have less ps in it and dump it on a surface covered generously with ps and need the final amounts of ps in this way, i generally start with half the amount of ps and kneed the remaining in, i also used a bench mixer with dough hooks on, just made it a whole lot easier.

With you question about the cream, i used thickened cream but i think next i will use pure cream next time, might store a bit better.

I would lover to hear how you go thumbs_up.gif

sweet_teeth Posted 8 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #28 of 41

Cream is not the issue. Michele has stated many times that cream is simply for taste, not for fat/pliability reasons. You can sub water, soy milk, low fat milk, etc. and it should work just as fine

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 8 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #29 of 41

Can't the incorrect recipes be deleted so some other poor fool such as I don't get the WRONG recipe and waste a bunch of ingredients? icon_evil.gif

Or am I missing somethin' here?

mrsunknown Posted 8 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #30 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

Can't the incorrect recipes be deleted so some other poor fool such as I don't get the WRONG recipe and waste a bunch of ingredients? icon_evil.gif

Or am I missing somethin' here?

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%