Noah's Ark Cake - Shape Question

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 10 May 2009 , 2:31pm by jlynnw

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

I will be making a Noah's Ark cake for a 1st birthday at the end of the month. My thought was to use 12" or 14" round for the bottom and a oval pan (comes in one of the Wilton kits) for the ark on top. with fondant animals.

I wasnt planning on carving the ovals just adding a RKT top to it to look like the upper part of the ark. Think that will work? or do I need to be brave and carve the oval more?

Thanks!

6 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 7

MeliaJ, here is a really cute Noah's Ark cake by LolaT. Looks like she used the oval pan as well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1268121

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 7

You could take the oval cake, and just trim the ends to make it a football shape, without carving the top. Does that make sense? It would give it the shape of the boat, but wouldn't be too much carving - more slight shaping.

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 7

lees_luv - that's exactly what I had in mind, but didnt know how it would look. I'm going to see if I can find that book this weekend.

Thanks!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 7

maybe try to use the smaller oval then the larger one on top to taper a bit. I don't think that would be that much to carve. The pic looks like all the same size though. Good luck and post your finished cake!

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7

i think technically the real noah's ark was rectangular, lol, but that one is waaay cutsy! if you want to get an oval shape without buyiung the pan, you could make one round cake, cut it in half, and place each half to the end of a square cake the same width.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 7

DD recomends a sheet cake and cut out ovals in progressly larger sizes, just a 1 inch or so. 3 stacked cakes or even 2 would work for the cake. Then you can use the corner pieces to make the square cake for the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%